• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest Update

JERC approves 6.83pc average power tariff hike in J&K from September 1, Oppn slams NC

United News of India by United News of India
August 22, 2026
in Latest Update
A A
JERC approves 6.83pc average power tariff hike in J&K from September 1, Oppn slams NC
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

Srinagar, Aug 22 (UNI) The Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission (JERC) for Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh has approved an average 6.83 per cent increase in electricity tariffs for Jammu and Kashmir for the financial year 2026-27, drawing sharp criticism from opposition parties.

 

According to the tariff order issued by the regulator, the revised rates will come into effect from September 1, 2026, with electricity consumed from that date to be billed at the new tariffs.

 

The hike is likely to increase the power bills of consumers across Jammu and Kashmir.

 

The tariff revision has also triggered strong criticism from opposition political parties, with leaders accusing the Omar Abdullah-led National Conference government of failing to fulfil its 2024 Assembly election promise of providing 200 units of free electricity to households.

 

Leader of Opposition in the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly and BJP senior leader Sunil Sharma termed the tariff hike a “betrayal” of the people, saying the NC had promised 200 units of free power but had instead allowed consumers to face higher bills.

 

“The NC government promised 200 units of free electricity to every household. But instead of fulfilling that commitment, people are now facing an increase in electricity tariffs. This is not relief; it is a betrayal of the trust placed in the government,” Sharma said.

 

PDP leader and MLA Waheed Parra also criticised the government, saying the tariff increase came at a time when unemployment and inflation were already putting pressure on ordinary families.

 

“At a time when unemployment is at a peak, inflation is biting hard and ordinary families are struggling to make ends meet, the government has imposed a 6.83pc power tariff hike,” Parra said in a post on X.

 

He questioned the government’s failure to implement its election promises, saying, “From free tariff promises of relief to higher bills, what happened to the promise?”

 

Peoples Conference chief and MLA Sajad Lone said the tariff hike would come as a “shock” to consumers who had been promised free electricity.

 

“It is definitely a shock for those who were promised 200 units free in 2024 by the ruling party,” Lone said in a post on X, alleging that almost two years had passed without consumers receiving any benefit from the promised free power.

 

Apni Party president Altaf Bukhari also opposed the hike, describing it as an additional burden on people already facing unemployment, inflation and difficulties in the tourism and horticulture sectors.

 

“Only a government that is insensitive towards the problems and grievances of people can think of putting an additional burden on them by increasing power tariffs,” Bukhari said.

 

He said the ruling party had sought votes by promising 200 units of free electricity and free gas cylinders for domestic use, but had failed to deliver the promised relief.

 

“Two years after coming to power, instead of providing relief to people already struggling with hardships, the government has chosen to increase power tariffs. This is deeply disappointing,” Bukhari said, adding that the Apni Party would oppose the tariff hike and raise the issue with the authorities

United News of India

United News of India

United News of India

Related Posts

J&K DGP Nalin Prabhat Reviews Operations at TOBs in Ganderbal

J&K DGP Nalin Prabhat Reviews Operations at TOBs in Ganderbal
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Ganderbal, Aug 22: Jammu and Kashmir Director General of Police (DGP) Nalin Prabhat on Saturday conducted an operational review of...

Read moreDetails

GI QR labelling begins at Quality Control Lab of Handicrafts Dept

GI QR labelling begins at Quality Control Lab of Handicrafts Dept
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Lab shall certify non-textile & languishing crafts to add brand value and improve market reach SRINAGAR, AUGUST 22: In a...

Read moreDetails

NC Govt Betrays People Again: Free Power Promise Turns Into 6.83% Tariff Hike: Sunil Sharma

NC Govt Betrays People Again: Free Power Promise Turns Into 6.83% Tariff Hike: Sunil Sharma
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, August 22: Leader of Opposition in the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly, Sunil Sharma, on Saturday strongly criticised the...

Read moreDetails

Waheed Para Slams Power Tariff Hike In J&K, Questions Govt’s Poll Promises

Waheed Para Slams Power Tariff Hike In J&K, Questions Govt’s Poll Promises
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22 : People's Democratic Party (PDP) leader Waheed Ur Rehman Para on Saturday criticized the Jammu and Kashmir...

Read moreDetails

Power tariff hike shock for those promised 200 units free: Sajad Lone

PC Crowns “Pellet Queen” title to Mehbooba Mufti; Demands Unconditional Apology for Kashmiri Pellet Victims
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22: Peoples Conference President Sajad Gani Lone on Saturday said the 6.8% hike in electricity tariff is definitely...

Read moreDetails

Body of 18-Year-Old Srinagar Youth Recovered from Nallah Sindh After Two Days

Body of 18-Year-Old Srinagar Youth Recovered from Nallah Sindh After Two Days
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Youth had gone missing while bathing near Kijpara in Kangan; search operation launched by police and locals Ganderbal, Aug 22:...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire