• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Sunday, August 23, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home Top News

Amshipora fake encounter: Army starts Court Martial proceedings against its officer

“Have received Rs 5 lakh compensation, but no family member provided job so far”, say families of slain

Agencies by Agencies
April 5, 2022
in Top News
A A
Army indicts troops in Amshipora gunfight that killed 3 Rajouri youth, orders action
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

Srinagar: The Army on Monday said that Court Martial proceedings have been initiated against its officer who was found involved in Amshipora fake encounter.
“The Court Martial proceeding’s have been initiated against a captain involved in Amshipora encounter,” senior army official said.
In a statement issued here, the defence spokesman in Srinagar said that, “The Army has initiated general court martial proceedings against a Captain in Op Amshipura, Shopian in south Kashmir in July 2020 after the Court of Inquiry and the Summary of Evidence indicated a need for disciplinary proceedings.”
The spokesman further said that the Indian Army is committed to ethical conduct of operations. “Further updates on the case will be shared in a manner so as not to prejudice due process of law,” he said.
Meanwhile, the family members of three youth killed in fake encounter in Amshipora Shopian on July16, 2020, said that they are hopeful that justice will prevail and involved army men will get punishment.
“We are hopeful that the promises made by the LG Manoj Sinha when he visited our residences, will be fulfilled as well,” the family members of slain said.
Muhammad Yousuf, father of one of the slain labouer killed in the fake encounter, said that he was called by Army around ten days ago and asked to submit the missing report filed by them. “We had already provided the same to them twice in the past,” he said. “”Since then we are here in Central Kashmir along with army and are being told that court martial proceedings have been started.”
Yousuf said that on Monday afternoon, the army allowed them to return back to Jammu stating that next month they will be called again. “For now, we have left for our homes,” he said. He said that when LG Sinha visited their residences in Rajouri, he had promised that one family of each slain killed in Amshipora encounter will get a government job and Rs 5 lakh cash. “As of now, we have just received Rs 5 lakh cheque and are waiting for the jobs,” he said.
Family members have requested LG to ensure the fast-track court martial proceedings and provide job to families as well.
Notably on July 18, 2020, three labourers were killed in a fake encounter at Amshipora, Shopian. Their pictures went viral on social media after which three families from Rajouri district of Jammu claimed that the slain were their kin who had travelled to Shopian to work as labourers.
Amid hue and cry by the netizens and civil society activists, the families demanded DNA mapping of slain trio.
The police conducted the DNA profiling of slain, the samples of which matched with three Rajouri families on September 25 , which proved that the slain were not militants, the labourers who were earning their living in Amshipora.
While the army initially said the three were “militants”, it later admitted that its men exceeded the powers vested under the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) and contravened the dos and don’ts of the chief of army staff (COAS) as approved by the Supreme Court. The army had also ordered a court of inquiry into the encounter.
The slain trio were identified as Abrar Ahmed, 25; Imtiyaz Ahmed, 20, and Mohammed Ibrar, 16. On October 3, after around 70 days, the bodies of three labourers were exhumed.
The bodies were later handed over to the families who had reached Kashmir from Rajouri through Mughal road. The bodies of three labourers were later buried at their native places in Rajouri district as per the families of the slain

Agencies

Agencies

Related Posts

People’s Participation Vital to Counter Terrorism, Narco-Terror: LG Sinha

From Awareness to Action: LG Sinha Ignites Next Phase for Drug-Free J&K
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

• LG lays foundation stone of Amriteshwar Sarovar at Sunderbani in Rajouri • Says “community solidarity essential to counter terror,...

Read moreDetails

World sees India as bright spot for growth: PM Modi

Paper Leak Accused Won’t Be Spared, Fast-Track Courts to Be Set Up: PM Modi
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Says "Production Linked Punishment model of earlier 'License Raj' governments" Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a veiled dig at Congress...

Read moreDetails

LG Sinha Calls Agriculture a New Frontier for Youth Entrepreneurship

LG Sinha invites suggestions for SMVDSB’s upcoming ‘International Goddess Museum’ at Katra
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

•Urges youth to turn local agricultural challenges into startups and jobs •Calls for greater use of AI, technology and innovation...

Read moreDetails

Govt’s committed to deport every illegal immigrant from country: HM Amit Shah

Fuel excise cut brings relief amid global crisis: Amit Shah hails PM Modi’s move
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Siliguri( West Bengal) :The Union Home and Cooperatives Minister, Amit Shah inaugurated a 6-day awareness exhibition on the three New...

Read moreDetails

CM Omar inaugurates Srinagar’s first ‘Waste to Wonder’ Flower Garden

CM Omar inaugurates Srinagar’s first ‘Waste to Wonder’ Flower Garden
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Says “Garden showcases creative reuse of discarded materials, promotes sustainable landscaping” Srinagar :Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Friday inaugurated Srinagar’s first...

Read moreDetails

CM Omar felicitates J&K’s four NEET toppers

CM Omar felicitates J&K’s four NEET toppers
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Friday felicitated four outstanding NEET achievers from Jammu and Kashmir, recognising their exceptional performance in...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire