• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest Update

SC holds Prashant Bushan guilty of contempt of court, will hear arguments on sentence on Aug, 20

Agencies by Agencies
August 14, 2020
in Latest Update, Main Story
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

New Delhi/Aug, 14: The Supreme Court on Friday held activist-lawyer Prashant Bhushan guilty of contempt of court for scandalising the judiciary by his tweets against Chief Justice of India SA Bobde.

A Bench of Justice Arun Mishra, Justice BR Gavai and Justice Krishna Murari – which held him guilty – will hear arguments on sentence on August 20.

Pronouncing the verdict, Justice Gavai said Bhushan committed a “serious” contempt of court.

Recently, Bhushan had tweeted, “CJI rides a 50 Lakh motorcycle belonging to a BJP leader at Raj Bhavan Nagpur, without a mask or helmet, at a time when he keeps the SC in Lockdown mode denying citizens their fundamental right to access Justice!”

In another tweet on June 27, he had said, “When historians in future look back at the last 6 years to see how democracy has been destroyed in India even without a formal Emergency, they will particularly mark the role of the Supreme Court in this destruction, amp; more particularly the role of the last 4 CJIs.”

The top court had on July 22 taken strong exception to both the tweets and initiated suo motu contempt proceedings against Bhushan.

Referring to two of Bhushan’s tweets, a Bench had earlier said, “We are, prima facie, of the view that the aforesaid statements on Twitter have brought the administration of justice in disrepute and are capable of undermining the dignity and authority of the Institution of Supreme Court in general and the office of the Chief Justice of India in particular, in the eyes of public at large.”

The top court had on August 5 reserved its order on a suo motu criminal contempt case initiated against Bhushan for his tweets allegedly scandalising the judiciary after hearing at length senior advocate Dushyant Dave, on behalf of Bhushan.
Dave had argued that no institution should be free from public criticism.

Earlier, it had decided to go ahead with contempt proceedings against the activist-lawyer in a in 11-year-old contempt case in which he had expressed regret but refused to apologise.

During the hearing, Dave had tried to impress upon the Bench that Bhushan’s tweets critical of CJI SA Bobde and former CJIs didn’t amount to scandalising the judiciary.

“Mr Bhushan’s contribution to development of the PIL jurisprudence is immense. He criticises the court because of love and affection for the institution. He did not impute any motives. Please don’t misunderstand him,” Dave had submitted.

“Perhaps you (Bench) would have given him Padma Vibbushan for the work in the last 30 years,” he had said requesting the Bench not to proceed with the criminal contempt case.

“Do you think we have broad shoulders?” Justice Mishra had asked.

“You usually have but may be not in this case,” Dave had replied.

He had said no one, including judges, can claim infallibility. “Hundreds of people tweeted after the photo was clicked of the CJI riding a bike. Is the court going to charge all of them with contempt?” Dave asked.

On behalf of Twitter, senior counsel Sajan Poovayya had said his client was only an intermediary in this case.

“There are 50 crore tweets every day. It’s not possible for us to look at all of them. After the court’s notice we withheld the tweets in question. I (Twitter) should not have been impleaded at all,” Poovayya had submitted.

Agencies

Agencies

Related Posts

Waheed Para Slams Power Tariff Hike In J&K, Questions Govt’s Poll Promises

Waheed Para Slams Power Tariff Hike In J&K, Questions Govt’s Poll Promises
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22 : People's Democratic Party (PDP) leader Waheed Ur Rehman Para on Saturday criticized the Jammu and Kashmir...

Read moreDetails

Power tariff hike shock for those promised 200 units free: Sajad Lone

PC Crowns “Pellet Queen” title to Mehbooba Mufti; Demands Unconditional Apology for Kashmiri Pellet Victims
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22: Peoples Conference President Sajad Gani Lone on Saturday said the 6.8% hike in electricity tariff is definitely...

Read moreDetails

Body of 18-Year-Old Srinagar Youth Recovered from Nallah Sindh After Two Days

Body of 18-Year-Old Srinagar Youth Recovered from Nallah Sindh After Two Days
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Youth had gone missing while bathing near Kijpara in Kangan; search operation launched by police and locals Ganderbal, Aug 22:...

Read moreDetails

Elderly Woman Injured In Bear Attack In Anantnag

Elderly Woman Injured In Bear Attack In Anantnag
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 23:An elderly woman was injured after being attacked by a wild bear in Achabal area of south Kashmir's...

Read moreDetails

Power Tariff in J&K Likely to Rise From September 1 as JERC Approves 6.83% Average Hike

Power Tariff in J&K Likely to Rise From September 1 as JERC Approves 6.83% Average Hike
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22, KNT: Electricity consumers across Jammu and Kashmir are likely to face higher power bills from September 1...

Read moreDetails

EOW Kashmir chargesheets habitual offender in fake job fraud case

EOW Kashmir chargesheets habitual offender in fake job fraud case
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22: The Economic Offences Wing (EOW) Kashmir of Crime Branch J&K on Saturday said it had filed a...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire