Musa’s killing a major success, he was only surviving member of Burhan Wani group: Police

Thousands attend multiple funerals; Internet snapped across Kashmir for second day, spontaneous shutdown, sporadic clashes across Kashmir, situation being managed well, IGP Kashmir

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir police Friday termed the killing of Ansaar Gazwatul Hind chief Zakir Rashid Bhat alias Zakir Musa as a major success, stating that he was the only surviving militant of the erstwhile Burhan Wani group, who later floated a separate organisation.
According to KNO, thousands of people braving rains participated in the multiple rounds of funerals for Moosa while as Kashmir witnessed spontaneous shutdown amid sporadic clashes even as authorities resorted to strict clampdown in downtown Srinagar where Friday congregational prayers were disallowed at the historic Jamia Masjid for the second consecutive week.
In a series of tweets, the J&K police wrote: “Active from six years he was involved in number of militant activities. The militant was carrying rocket, grenade launchers, projectiles, huge ammunition and war like stores.”
In yet another tweet the police said: “In a major success against militancy in South Kashmir security forces eliminated Zakir Rashid Bhat alias Zakir Musa chief commander and founder of #AnsarGazwatulHind; only surviving militant of erstwhile Burhan group.”
The encounter had started in Dadsara area of Tral in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district on Thursday evening and by 7 pm, police official told KNO, that despite offering him to surrender multiple times, he resorted to heavy firing leading to a gunfight. “By 9 pm, the operation was over and he (Moosa) was gunned down,” the official said.
Soon after the killing of Moosa, the authorities snapped internet services across Kashmir on Thursday evening while as the government announced closure of all the schools, colleges and universities across Kashmir as a precautionary measure.
Eye-witnesses told KNO that the Srinagar administration had made a heavy deployment of forces across downtown while as barbed wires were placed on roads to ensure no protest march takes place. “Friday prayers were barred at the historic Jamia Masjid on the second consecutive week,” a resident of Nowhatta said. He said this time, forces deployment was made even in lanes and by lanes to ensure no protest or rally takes place.
Witnesses said that clashes were witnessed in Rainawari, Soura, Anchar, Hyderpora after the Friday congregational prayers as youth engaged forces in pitched battles.
The forces resorted to firing of tear gas shells to disperse the protestors. Witnesses said that intense clashes were witnessed in Sopore area of north Kashmir’s Baramulla where a youth sustained grave injury in his hand and face as a tear smoke shell exploded in his hand. “He was referred to SMHS hospital for treatment, where his condition was stated as stable.”
Interestingly, despite no call for shutdown, Kashmir witnessed an exemplary spontaneous shutdown even as street vendors also decided not to set up stalls. All the commercial establishments, business units, private institutions remained shut across Kashmir, reports and witnesses told KNO.

THOUSANDS ATTEND FUNERAL AMID RAINS : Braving rains, thousands of people soon after the Fajr (morning prayers) marched towards Tral despite restrictions placed by the police and the local administrations of Pulwama, Kulgam, Anantnag and Shopian districts, to participate in the funeral procession of the Ansaar Gazwatul Hind commander.
Witnesses told KNO that despite rains, thousands of people participated in multiple funeral of Moosa at his native village in Tral area of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district. The mourners were shouting pro-Islam and pro-freedom slogans. Hundreds of wailing women were also seen marching along with the Moosa’s funeral amid shrieks and cries, witnesses said.

SITUATION UNDER CONTROL : Jammu and Kashmir police said that in the wake of killing of AGH chief, situation across Kashmir continues to remain under control despite the fact that in some parts there were mild clashes. “Forces have been asked to exercise maximum restraint and to avoid any civilian killing while dealing with the protestors,” a senior police officer told KNO.
Asked about the restoration of internet services, the officer said that as and when the situation improves internet would be restored. Inspector General of Police Kashmir zone, S P Pani said that the operation in which Moosa was killed was a smooth one and there was no collateral damage.
“There security scenario is being managed well and there is no major law and order situation anywhere. There are some areas where restrictions were imposed,” he said in a video message circulated by the police.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Confirmed: 10,676,838Deaths: 153,587