Tue. Oct 22nd, 2019

New Zealand terrorist attack: 49 killed, Indian-origin people missing

New Delhi: As many as 49 people were killed and several others were injured after a gunman opened fire at two mosques in Christchurch this morning. Three men and one woman have been detained so far in connection with the terrorist attack.
At least nine Indian-origin people have gone missing since the deadly terror attacks in two mosques in New Zealand city of Christchurch city on Friday, the Indian envoy to New Zealand said in a tweet.
Citing “updates from multiple sources”, High Commissioner Sanjiv Kohli said, “As per updates received from multiple sources, there are nine missing persons of Indian nationality/origin. Official confirmation still awaited. Huge crime against humanity. Our prayers with their families.”
Though his tweet was endorsed by the Indian High Commission in New Zealand, Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Raveesh Kumar in New Delhi said authorities are waiting for more information. “Our mission is in touch with local authorities to ascertain more details. It is a sensitive matter and therefore we can’t give confirmed numbers/names till we are absolutely certain,” he told reporters.
As many as 49 people were killed and several others were injured after a gunman opened fire at two mosques in the city this morning. Three men and one woman have been detained so far in connection with the terrorist attack.
AIMIM president Asaduddin Owaisi, meanwhile, claimed that two persons from Hyderabad were critically injured and sought the ministry’s intervention in the case. Identifying one of the victims as Mohammed Khurshid Jahangir, Owaisi urged MEA chief Sushma Swaraj and Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao to help the concerned family travel to New Zealand. “A video from Christchurch shows one Ahmed Jehangir who was shot. His brother Iqbal Jehangir is a resident of Hyderabad & would like to go to NZ for Ahmed’s family. I request @KTRTRS @TelanganaCMO @MEAIndia @SushmaSwaraj to make necessary arrangements for the Khursheed family,” he posted on Twitter. The AIMIM chief also shared the passport details of the alleged victim. “His brother is serious and his family has little support. I am only requesting the immediate support of your good offices in expediting his visa process. He’ll make all arrangements to travel to New Zealand by himself.” Owaisi said one Farhaj Ahsan also reportedly visited the same mosque and is currently missing. “His family in Hyderabad, I request immediate assistance to his family as well. His family’s contact details are available with me and I’ll share the same with you,” he tweeted.
Later thanking Swaraj for her response, Owaisi tweeted, “I’d like to thank Sushma Swaraj for personally updating me about MEA’s efforts in assisting Ahmed’s and Ahsan’s families to reach New Zealand on time. We are in touch with MEA and they have assured us that they’re making all efforts to get the visa process expedited.”

Loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The Kashmir Horizon

FREE
VIEW