• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home Top News

Forces personnel celebrating Eid with families asked to take extra precaution in Kashmir

United News of India by United News of India
September 1, 2017
in Top News
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

Srinagar: Personnel of the Jammu and Kashmir police and other security agencies, going to celebrate Eid-ul-Azha with their families in their native villages in the valley, have been asked to take extra precautions in view of the threat that militants could hit soft target during the festival.
After the killing of a number of Army and CRPF personnel who had come to their native villages on leave, the security agencies have already directed their men to be more cautious when they are visiting their homes in the valley in future.
During this moth 48 persons—26 militants, including some top commanders, 15 security personnel and seven civilians—were killed in different encounters and fidayeen attack and Cordon and Search Operation (CASO) in the valley. The civilians were killed when security forces opened fire to disperse demonstrators near encounter sites, who were trying to disrupt the CASOs.
However, the number of CASO) has come down, particularly in south Kashmir, after Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) directed all militants to stop using mobile phones. During the first fortnight of this month security forces conducted about one dozen CASOs, killing 21 militants, including five infiltrators in Gurez sector. Six security force personnel also lost their lives during these encounters.
The security forces during the last fortnight also conducted CASOs without achieving any success. But militants carried out a fidayeen attack on District Police Lines (DPL) , Pulwama, in which four CRPF and equal number of police personnel were killed. Three fidayeen of Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) were also killed in the encounter which continued for about 18 hours.
Militants recently killed an Assistant Sub Inspector (ASI) of state police in Anantnag in south Kashmir.
Less number of CASOs by security forces in the second fortnight of this month is being attributed to militant strategy who have stopped using mobile phone after direction by top commanders, who believe that the movement of militants was being trapped through signals.
Inspector General of Police (IGP), Kashmir range, Muneer Ahmad Khan has also admitted that militants have stopped using mobile phone which makes it difficult to track them now. The comment by the IGP comes days after top brass of different militants group operating in the state, asked militants to stop using mobile phones.
However, he said, security forces are against them and we have to change the strategy. We will get them (militants) without they using mobile phones, he said.
Reacting to reports that a high alert has been issued Khan said we have just asked our officers and jawans to be cautious after the Pulwama attack. Eight security force personnel, four each of police and CRPF, were killed in a fidayeen attack on District Police Line (DPL) Pulwama last week. The three JeM militants who carried out the attack were also killed in 18 hour long gunfight.
The IGP Kashmir said he asked his officers and jawans to avoid places where there is a threat to their lives. “My job is not just to give bulletproof jackets and armed vehicles to police personnel. My job is also to caution them to not go to places where there is a threat to their lives,” he added.
The IGP said that after successful operations during which security forces killed top militant commanders in the last couple of months, it is obvious that they have gone into hiding to save themselves. They have gone into hiding in higher reaches of the valley. The way they used to roam freely in the towns has stopped,” he said.
“They have given space to foreign militants, like Jaish-e-Mohammad. Three of JeM militants were killed in the Pulwama encounter. There are still two groups of JeM operating in south Kashmir and outskirts of Srinagar,” Khan said.

 

 

United News of India

United News of India

United News of India

Related Posts

People’s Participation Vital to Counter Terrorism, Narco-Terror: LG Sinha

From Awareness to Action: LG Sinha Ignites Next Phase for Drug-Free J&K
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

• LG lays foundation stone of Amriteshwar Sarovar at Sunderbani in Rajouri • Says “community solidarity essential to counter terror,...

Read moreDetails

World sees India as bright spot for growth: PM Modi

Paper Leak Accused Won’t Be Spared, Fast-Track Courts to Be Set Up: PM Modi
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Says "Production Linked Punishment model of earlier 'License Raj' governments" Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a veiled dig at Congress...

Read moreDetails

LG Sinha Calls Agriculture a New Frontier for Youth Entrepreneurship

LG Sinha invites suggestions for SMVDSB’s upcoming ‘International Goddess Museum’ at Katra
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

•Urges youth to turn local agricultural challenges into startups and jobs •Calls for greater use of AI, technology and innovation...

Read moreDetails

Govt’s committed to deport every illegal immigrant from country: HM Amit Shah

Fuel excise cut brings relief amid global crisis: Amit Shah hails PM Modi’s move
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Siliguri( West Bengal) :The Union Home and Cooperatives Minister, Amit Shah inaugurated a 6-day awareness exhibition on the three New...

Read moreDetails

CM Omar inaugurates Srinagar’s first ‘Waste to Wonder’ Flower Garden

CM Omar inaugurates Srinagar’s first ‘Waste to Wonder’ Flower Garden
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Says “Garden showcases creative reuse of discarded materials, promotes sustainable landscaping” Srinagar :Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Friday inaugurated Srinagar’s first...

Read moreDetails

CM Omar felicitates J&K’s four NEET toppers

CM Omar felicitates J&K’s four NEET toppers
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Friday felicitated four outstanding NEET achievers from Jammu and Kashmir, recognising their exceptional performance in...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire