• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Sunday, August 23, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest Update

Cases registered against top Muslim cleric, 6 others for trashing warnings on COVID-19 spread

KH Web Desk by KH Web Desk
April 1, 2020
in Latest Update
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

New Delhi/April,1: After a religious gathering in Delhi at the headquarters of the Tablighi Jamaat sect has emerged as one of the country’s top coronavirus hotspots, Delhi Police has registered cases against Chief cleric of Tableegi Jamaat Maulana Saad and six others for allegedly trashing warnings on COVID-19 spread.  

Thousands of Tablighi Jamaat members, including those from other countries, attended the gathering in March, disregarding all coronavirus warnings and precautions. Many then travelled to different states which is believed to be one of the causes of tbe spread of the highly contagious virus.

Over 2,000 members have been removed from the Markaz Nizamuddin, the Tablighi headquarters, in the past three days. 

Sources say Maulana Saad is missing; he was last seen on Saturday, when coronavirus cases started surfacing.

Apart from Maulana Saad, Delhi Police’s first Information Report names Zeeshan, Mufti Shehzad, M Saifi, Younus, Mohammad Salman and Mohammed Ashraf.
They have been charged under the Epidemic Disease Act, said Delhi Police Commissioner SN Shrivastava.

The FIR says these seven were responsible for the gathering and they allowed visitors to continue living in the building despite notice issued to them on March 24, the day the country went into a total lockdown to fight the spread of coronavirus.

The Delhi Police Crime Branch is examining an audio recording of a sermon posted on a “Delhi Markaj” YouTube channel, in which the speaker says there is no need to follow social distancing advised by the government. The speaker terms the coronavirus warnings as a “conspiracy to keep Muslims away from fellow Muslims”.

“Where will you run from death? Death is in front of you… This is an occasion to seek penance from God. Not an occasion where one comes under the influence of doctors and stops Namaaz, meeting each other… Yes, there is a virus. But 70,000 angels are with me and if they can’t save me, who will? This is the time for more such gatherings, not the time to avoid each other… Who says if we meet then disease will spread? The disease will pass, but eating from the same plate, it will benefit us… This is a plan to end amity between Muslims, to alienate them from each other,” says the speaker, which, some reports say, is Maulana Saad.

Across the country, 128 people with coronavirus have been traced to the gathering and many more cases are feared.

The police and Delhi government say the sect was warned about the gathering and had been asked to vacate Markaz Nizamuddin because of COVID-19 fears.

But the organisers of the Tablighi gathering told the police, after being issued notice to vacate, that “people came before the lockdown was imposed, and the PM (Narendra Modi) in his speech said jo jahaan hai wahi rahe (all must stay wherever they are)”.

The Tablighi Jamaat, an Islamic missionary movement with members across the world, preaches a return to orthodox Muslim ways. As the coronavirus pandemic swept through the world, Tablighi Jamaat continued to organize gatherings that have been linked to coronavirus cases in countries like Malaysia and Pakistan.

KH Web Desk

KH Web Desk

Related Posts

Director Agriculture Kashmir visits S.M Farm Tapper Kreeri, takes stock of Agriculture activities

Director Agriculture Kashmir visits S.M Farm Tapper Kreeri, takes stock of Agriculture activities
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

SRINAGAR, AUGUST 22:- Director Agriculture Kashmir, Sartaj Ahmad Shah visited Seed Multiplication Farm Tapper Kreeri and took stock of various...

Read moreDetails

DC Srinagar chairs DLSCC meeting; several cases recommended for compassionate appointment and cash compensation under SRO-43

DC Srinagar chairs DLSCC meeting; several cases recommended for compassionate appointment and cash compensation under SRO-43
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

SRINAGAR AUGUST 22:- A meeting of District Level Screening cum Coordination Committee (DLSCC) was today held under the chairmanship of...

Read moreDetails

JERC approves 6.83pc average power tariff hike in J&K from September 1, Oppn slams NC

JERC approves 6.83pc average power tariff hike in J&K from September 1, Oppn slams NC
by United News of India
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22 (UNI) The Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission (JERC) for Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh has approved an average...

Read moreDetails

J&K DGP Nalin Prabhat Reviews Operations at TOBs in Ganderbal

J&K DGP Nalin Prabhat Reviews Operations at TOBs in Ganderbal
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Ganderbal, Aug 22: Jammu and Kashmir Director General of Police (DGP) Nalin Prabhat on Saturday conducted an operational review of...

Read moreDetails

GI QR labelling begins at Quality Control Lab of Handicrafts Dept

GI QR labelling begins at Quality Control Lab of Handicrafts Dept
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Lab shall certify non-textile & languishing crafts to add brand value and improve market reach SRINAGAR, AUGUST 22: In a...

Read moreDetails

NC Govt Betrays People Again: Free Power Promise Turns Into 6.83% Tariff Hike: Sunil Sharma

NC Govt Betrays People Again: Free Power Promise Turns Into 6.83% Tariff Hike: Sunil Sharma
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, August 22: Leader of Opposition in the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly, Sunil Sharma, on Saturday strongly criticised the...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire