Srinagar, Aug 22 (UNI) The Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission (JERC) for Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh has approved an average 6.83 per cent increase in electricity tariffs for Jammu and Kashmir for the financial year 2026-27, drawing sharp criticism from opposition parties.
According to the tariff order issued by the regulator, the revised rates will come into effect from September 1, 2026, with electricity consumed from that date to be billed at the new tariffs.
The hike is likely to increase the power bills of consumers across Jammu and Kashmir.
The tariff revision has also triggered strong criticism from opposition political parties, with leaders accusing the Omar Abdullah-led National Conference government of failing to fulfil its 2024 Assembly election promise of providing 200 units of free electricity to households.
Leader of Opposition in the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly and BJP senior leader Sunil Sharma termed the tariff hike a “betrayal” of the people, saying the NC had promised 200 units of free power but had instead allowed consumers to face higher bills.
“The NC government promised 200 units of free electricity to every household. But instead of fulfilling that commitment, people are now facing an increase in electricity tariffs. This is not relief; it is a betrayal of the trust placed in the government,” Sharma said.
PDP leader and MLA Waheed Parra also criticised the government, saying the tariff increase came at a time when unemployment and inflation were already putting pressure on ordinary families.
“At a time when unemployment is at a peak, inflation is biting hard and ordinary families are struggling to make ends meet, the government has imposed a 6.83pc power tariff hike,” Parra said in a post on X.
He questioned the government’s failure to implement its election promises, saying, “From free tariff promises of relief to higher bills, what happened to the promise?”
Peoples Conference chief and MLA Sajad Lone said the tariff hike would come as a “shock” to consumers who had been promised free electricity.
“It is definitely a shock for those who were promised 200 units free in 2024 by the ruling party,” Lone said in a post on X, alleging that almost two years had passed without consumers receiving any benefit from the promised free power.
Apni Party president Altaf Bukhari also opposed the hike, describing it as an additional burden on people already facing unemployment, inflation and difficulties in the tourism and horticulture sectors.
“Only a government that is insensitive towards the problems and grievances of people can think of putting an additional burden on them by increasing power tariffs,” Bukhari said.
He said the ruling party had sought votes by promising 200 units of free electricity and free gas cylinders for domestic use, but had failed to deliver the promised relief.
“Two years after coming to power, instead of providing relief to people already struggling with hardships, the government has chosen to increase power tariffs. This is deeply disappointing,” Bukhari said, adding that the Apni Party would oppose the tariff hike and raise the issue with the authorities






