• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest Update

‘Govt approves amnesty to stone pelters, legal process begun, CPOs to file order in court for further action’: DGP

K H News Service by K H News Service
December 3, 2017
in Latest Update
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

Srinagar: Stating that the government has approved the amnesty for first time stone pelters with court formalities having already begun, the Director General Police S P Vaid on Sunday said that “security forces will go tough against stone pelters habitual of obstructing anti-militancy operations.
“Government has approved the amnesty to first time stone pelters and accordingly we have started the legal process. The list is being completed. Chief prosecuting officers in the session court will file government order in the court for further action.” the DGP while elaborating the approved amnesty told KNS over phone.
He said that while the first time stone pelters are being given chance, but those who are habitual of stone pelting will face the law. “Harsh measure will be put in place to prevent those who are habitual of stone pelting and are obstructing anti- militancy operations,” he maintained.
The DGP further said that police is trying best to change the minds of misguided youth. “It is also the responsibility of the parents and society to guide their children. We are identifying the children vulnerable to inimical propaganda and started counseling them so that these kids do not fall prey to any unlawful activity,” the DGP maintained.
The police chief further said that counseling by police to stone-pelters and roping in their parents for support has been effective in curbing violence especially in the Srinagar District. “There is a huge improvement in the situation in Valley and main credit goes to the people of Kashmir as they have also realized the futility of this and damaging their own property,” the DGP said and added that we are thankful to officers and jawans who were working in the fields.
The DGP added that the police have faced tough times to deal with the militants and while maintaining law and order in the valley. “Despite the challenges, our men are continuing doing good work to bring normalcy in the valley,” he said.
He said that the Jammu and Kashmir police have been at the forefront in dealing with militants like other security forces and many of our men have sacrificed their lives to bring normalcy in the valley.
It is to mention here that the chief minister Mehbooba Mufti had announced amnesty for first-time “offenders of stone pelting”. “It gives me immense satisfaction to restart the process of withdrawing FIRs against first time offenders of stone pelting. My government had initiated the process in May, 2016 but it was unfortunately stalled due to the unrest later that year,” Mufti had said.
Mehbooba had said the government’s initiative was based on recommendations by the Centre’s interlocutor Dineshwar Sharma, a former Intelligence Bureau chief tasked with starting a peace process in the Kashmir. Sources said, about 11,000 FIRs were registered over stone-pelting incidents following the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen militant commander Burhan Wani in July last year. There are reports that charges are being dropped against more than 4500 first time stone pelters in Kashmir Valley. (KNS)

K H News Service

K H News Service

Related Posts

JERC approves 6.83pc average power tariff hike in J&K from September 1, Oppn slams NC

JERC approves 6.83pc average power tariff hike in J&K from September 1, Oppn slams NC
by United News of India
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22 (UNI) The Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission (JERC) for Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh has approved an average...

Read moreDetails

J&K DGP Nalin Prabhat Reviews Operations at TOBs in Ganderbal

J&K DGP Nalin Prabhat Reviews Operations at TOBs in Ganderbal
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Ganderbal, Aug 22: Jammu and Kashmir Director General of Police (DGP) Nalin Prabhat on Saturday conducted an operational review of...

Read moreDetails

GI QR labelling begins at Quality Control Lab of Handicrafts Dept

GI QR labelling begins at Quality Control Lab of Handicrafts Dept
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Lab shall certify non-textile & languishing crafts to add brand value and improve market reach SRINAGAR, AUGUST 22: In a...

Read moreDetails

NC Govt Betrays People Again: Free Power Promise Turns Into 6.83% Tariff Hike: Sunil Sharma

NC Govt Betrays People Again: Free Power Promise Turns Into 6.83% Tariff Hike: Sunil Sharma
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, August 22: Leader of Opposition in the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly, Sunil Sharma, on Saturday strongly criticised the...

Read moreDetails

Waheed Para Slams Power Tariff Hike In J&K, Questions Govt’s Poll Promises

Waheed Para Slams Power Tariff Hike In J&K, Questions Govt’s Poll Promises
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22 : People's Democratic Party (PDP) leader Waheed Ur Rehman Para on Saturday criticized the Jammu and Kashmir...

Read moreDetails

Power tariff hike shock for those promised 200 units free: Sajad Lone

PC Crowns “Pellet Queen” title to Mehbooba Mufti; Demands Unconditional Apology for Kashmiri Pellet Victims
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22: Peoples Conference President Sajad Gani Lone on Saturday said the 6.8% hike in electricity tariff is definitely...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire