• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home Top News

Omar, Sajad, Bukhari, Tarigami, Shah condemn attack on DDC candidate at Kokernag

K H News Service by K H News Service
December 5, 2020
in Top News
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

Srinagar: Several politicians including the former chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir, Omar Abdullah Friday condemned the attack on District Development Council (DDC) candidate in Kokernag area of South Kashmir’s Anantnag district.
Earlier in the afternoon, unknown gunmen shot at and injured a DDC candidate in Kokernag, who is contesting the polls from Sagam Kokernag block.
Omar Abdullah in a tweet said that elections have always brought out the worst in those forces who have remained inimical to peace in Kashmir.
“Disturbing reports coming in from Kokernag in South Kashmir of an attack on a DDC election candidate. I hope & pray that he survives the attack. Elections have always brought out the worst in those forces who have remained inimical to peace in Kashmir,” Omar tweeted.
The former minister and Peoples Conference (PC) Chairman, Sajad Gani Lone, who is also the spokesman of Peoples Alliance for Gupkar Declaration (PAGD), in a tweet said that the attack on him is detestable to say the least.
“The attack on a contesting DDC candidate is detestable to say the least. Violence has been the biggest facilitator in our disempowerment,” Lone tweeted.
Meanwhile in a statement issued here on Friday the J&K Apni Party President Syed Mohammad Altaf Bukhari condemned the attack on Anees-ul-Islam Party’s contesting candidate for DDC elections from Sagaam-Kokernag in district Anantnag.
Bukhari said such violent incidents add to the miseries and sufferings of people and cannot be condoned by anyone in civilized society across the world. “This dastardly attack on our contesting candidate is a manifestation of frustration among forces inimical to peace and rising popularity of the Apni Party among the people,” he said while urging the government to take serious cognizance of this incident and take all necessary security measures in this regard.
Bukhari said those involved in this incident should not be allowed to go scot free and the administration must identify and nab the culprits behind such attacks and book them under stringent laws.
He said that the attack on unarmed grass root level political activists is a show of cowardice which cannot be justified by any means and philosophies patronizing such attackers. He expressed solidarity with the family of Anees-ul-Islam and prayed for his speedy recovery.
Bukhari also sought a thorough security review for vulnerable political workers who reside in more violence prone areas in J&K. “The J&K government should take a review of the security situation and take measures to prevent recurrence of such attacks in future,” he added.
CPI (M) senior leader and former MLA Kulgam, Muhammad Yousuf Tarigami in a statement issued here said that the attack on a DDC candidate at Kokernag area of Anantnag by gunmen is highly condemnable and such incidents have no place in civilized society.
“Such acts suit none other than those who want less participation in polls so that the results of these elections can be manipulated, peoples grievances are not redressed and their voices not heard. They want agonies and miseries of common man to remain unattended,” he said.
“To vote or not to vote became a topic of discussion for several years in Kashmir. History and experience sufficiently demonstrates that neither voting nor the boycott changed the political course of Kashmir. However, the boycott of elections virtually leads to disempowerment of people which is the reason that the political parties in J&K decided to participate in DDC polls though announced abruptly,” he added.
He said people must not succumb to such tactics as these have been going on for the last three decades. “There are pressures from the administration on ones side on voters and on the other such elements are harassing and threatening them,” he added.
Meanwhile, Awami National Conference (ANC) Senior Vice President, Muzaffar Ahmad Shah also condemned the attack on DDC candidate and prayed for the speedy recovery of the injured

K H News Service

K H News Service

Related Posts

People’s Participation Vital to Counter Terrorism, Narco-Terror: LG Sinha

From Awareness to Action: LG Sinha Ignites Next Phase for Drug-Free J&K
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

• LG lays foundation stone of Amriteshwar Sarovar at Sunderbani in Rajouri • Says “community solidarity essential to counter terror,...

Read moreDetails

World sees India as bright spot for growth: PM Modi

Paper Leak Accused Won’t Be Spared, Fast-Track Courts to Be Set Up: PM Modi
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Says "Production Linked Punishment model of earlier 'License Raj' governments" Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a veiled dig at Congress...

Read moreDetails

LG Sinha Calls Agriculture a New Frontier for Youth Entrepreneurship

LG Sinha invites suggestions for SMVDSB’s upcoming ‘International Goddess Museum’ at Katra
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

•Urges youth to turn local agricultural challenges into startups and jobs •Calls for greater use of AI, technology and innovation...

Read moreDetails

Govt’s committed to deport every illegal immigrant from country: HM Amit Shah

Fuel excise cut brings relief amid global crisis: Amit Shah hails PM Modi’s move
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Siliguri( West Bengal) :The Union Home and Cooperatives Minister, Amit Shah inaugurated a 6-day awareness exhibition on the three New...

Read moreDetails

CM Omar inaugurates Srinagar’s first ‘Waste to Wonder’ Flower Garden

CM Omar inaugurates Srinagar’s first ‘Waste to Wonder’ Flower Garden
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Says “Garden showcases creative reuse of discarded materials, promotes sustainable landscaping” Srinagar :Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Friday inaugurated Srinagar’s first...

Read moreDetails

CM Omar felicitates J&K’s four NEET toppers

CM Omar felicitates J&K’s four NEET toppers
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Friday felicitated four outstanding NEET achievers from Jammu and Kashmir, recognising their exceptional performance in...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire