• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Sunday, August 23, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home Top News

China suspends special flights from India over Covid-19 concerns

Agencies by Agencies
November 6, 2020
in Top News
A A
Eastern Ladakh standoff: India, China hold marathon Corps Commander talks
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

Beijing: China on Thursday indefinitely suspended air travel from India, barring non-Chinese travellers from coming into the country following a spike in Covid-19 cases in last week’s Vande Bharat Mission (VBM) flight.
While commercial flights between India and China haven’t resumed, Air India has been operating special repatriation flights under the VBM mechanism to different Chinese cities.
The new measure means four VBM flights scheduled every week from November 13 onwards will have to be rescheduled.
Beijing made similar announcements on barring the entry of non-Chinese visitors from Britain, Belgium and the Philippines, and demanded travellers from the US, France and Germany present the results of additional health tests as part of measures to counter a resurgence in Coronavirus cases around the world.
The new suspension order was a partial reversal of an easing on September 28, when Beijing allowed all foreigners with valid residence permits to enter. China had banned the entry of foreigners at the end of March.
In New Delhi, people familiar with developments said that the Chinese government’s announcement indicated the measure was a temporary action and that further changes could be expected in a timely manner. They said the Indian side is in touch with the Chinese side to facilitate essential travel by Indians to and from China.
Officials in Beijing said more than 1,500 Indians had registered to return to China, and Beijing’s announcement had created uncertainty.
China’s foreign ministry defended the decision, saying it was a “reasonable and fair” measure to tackle the pandemic. “China is drawing on the practices of many countries and adjusting its handling of the entry of the relevant people into China based on the changing pandemic situation,” ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin told a regular news briefing.
The India-specific announcement said the Chinese embassy in New Delhi and the consulates in Mumbai and Kolkata wouldn’t stamp health certificates furnished by normal passport holders.
“Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, it’s hereby announced that China has decided to temporarily suspend the entry into China by foreign nationals in India holding valid Chinese visas or residence permits,” the government said in its announcement.
“The Chinese Embassy/Consulates in India will not stamp the Health Declaration Forms for the holders of the above-mentioned categories of visa or residence permits,” it added. The statement clarified that foreigners holding “Chinese diplomatic, service, courtesy and C visas” wouldn’t be affected by the move.
“Foreigners with emergency or humanitarian needs to visit China, can submit visa application to the Chinese Embassy/Consulates in India. The entry into China with visas issued after November 3rd, 2020 is not affected,” the statement said.
“The suspension is a temporary measurement (sic) that China has to adopt to deal with the current pandemic. China will make further adjustment and announcement in accordance with the ongoing pandemic situation in a timely manner,” it added.
Twenty-three Indians on a VBM flight from New Delhi to the central Chinese city of Wuhan last Friday tested positive for Covid-19, of whom 19 were asymptomatic. The flight registered the highest number of infected people on an Indian repatriation flight to China so far.
The large number of cases – and the high incidence of the disease in India – prompted the Chinese embassy in New Delhi to change pre-boarding testing rules for Indians coming to China on special flights from November 7. he people cited above said Chinese authorities had acted only to temporarily suspend existing visas, and future visa applications had not been banned. “Visas issued after November 3 are valid for travel to China, and the measure isn’t India-specific. Similar measures have been announced for several other countries,” a person said.

 

Agencies

Agencies

Related Posts

People’s Participation Vital to Counter Terrorism, Narco-Terror: LG Sinha

From Awareness to Action: LG Sinha Ignites Next Phase for Drug-Free J&K
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

• LG lays foundation stone of Amriteshwar Sarovar at Sunderbani in Rajouri • Says “community solidarity essential to counter terror,...

Read moreDetails

World sees India as bright spot for growth: PM Modi

Paper Leak Accused Won’t Be Spared, Fast-Track Courts to Be Set Up: PM Modi
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Says "Production Linked Punishment model of earlier 'License Raj' governments" Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a veiled dig at Congress...

Read moreDetails

LG Sinha Calls Agriculture a New Frontier for Youth Entrepreneurship

LG Sinha invites suggestions for SMVDSB’s upcoming ‘International Goddess Museum’ at Katra
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

•Urges youth to turn local agricultural challenges into startups and jobs •Calls for greater use of AI, technology and innovation...

Read moreDetails

Govt’s committed to deport every illegal immigrant from country: HM Amit Shah

Fuel excise cut brings relief amid global crisis: Amit Shah hails PM Modi’s move
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Siliguri( West Bengal) :The Union Home and Cooperatives Minister, Amit Shah inaugurated a 6-day awareness exhibition on the three New...

Read moreDetails

CM Omar inaugurates Srinagar’s first ‘Waste to Wonder’ Flower Garden

CM Omar inaugurates Srinagar’s first ‘Waste to Wonder’ Flower Garden
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Says “Garden showcases creative reuse of discarded materials, promotes sustainable landscaping” Srinagar :Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Friday inaugurated Srinagar’s first...

Read moreDetails

CM Omar felicitates J&K’s four NEET toppers

CM Omar felicitates J&K’s four NEET toppers
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Friday felicitated four outstanding NEET achievers from Jammu and Kashmir, recognising their exceptional performance in...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire