• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home Top News

Two months after G’bal Encounter, Rashid Mughal’s body handed over to family

Irfan Yattoo by Irfan Yattoo
June 17, 2026
in Top News
A A
Two months after G’bal Encounter, Rashid Mughal’s body handed over to family
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

Srinagar: Authorities have handed over the body of 30-year-old Rashid Mughal to his family for last rites, nearly two-and-a-half months after he was killed in an encounter in central Kashmir’s Ganderbal district and identified as a “terrorist” by the Army.
Family members said the body was exhumed last week from a graveyard in north Kashmir, where he had been buried following the April encounter, before being returned to the family.
“We buried him in our native village after the body was handed over to us,” a family member said.
The encounter had sparked widespread controversy after Rashid’s family, residents of Chountwaliwar in Ganderbal, rejected official claims that he was a terrorist and maintained that he had no links to any terror outfit.
While the Army had said a terrorist was killed during the operation, it did not disclose the identity or affiliation of the slain individual. The Jammu and Kashmir Police also remained silent on the matter and issued no statement from the start of the operation.
The family asserted that Rashid was innocent and demanded an impartial investigation into the circumstances surrounding his killing.
J&K Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha ordered a thorough and impartial magisterial inquiry into the encounter.
The findings of the probe, however, are yet to be made public.
The incident drew political attention, with J&K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah calling for a transparent and time-bound probe, warning that any attempt to delay or obscure the investigation would undermine public trust.

Irfan Yattoo

Irfan Yattoo

Related Posts

LG Leads 81st J&K Sainik Board to Boost Veteran Welfare & Healthcare

From Awareness to Action: LG Sinha Ignites Next Phase for Drug-Free J&K
by K H News Service
August 19, 2026

Key Healthcare & Grievance Redressal Push for Veterans and Veer Naris LG Chairs State Panel on Armed Forces Flag Day...

Read moreDetails

CM Omar Reviews Final Prep for First J&K Int’l Film Festival

CM Omar Reviews Final Prep for First J&K Int’l Film Festival
by K H News Service
August 19, 2026

Says“Film Fest to Boost J&K’s Cultural & Creative Exchange” CM Reviews Plans for J&K Film Festival Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar...

Read moreDetails

Trump holds up India’s election system as model, pushes US Congress to pass SAVE America Act

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports
by United News of India
August 19, 2026

Washington : US President Donald Trump cited India's election system as a perfect model for the United States, pointing to...

Read moreDetails

After suspicious movement reports, security forces launch searches in Udhampur, Reasi

LG chairs a high-level security review meeting in the aftermath of Reasi killings
by Agencies
August 19, 2026

Jammu: Security forces on Tuesday launched search operations at several locations in Udhampur and Reasi districts following reports of suspicious...

Read moreDetails

NTA revamps its examination team: 600 experts removed, offices shifted to new premises

“Website, all portals fully secure”, Says NTA amid irregularities allegations
by Agencies
August 19, 2026

New Delhi: The National Testing Agency has revamped its examination team by removing 600 experts and on boarding new experts....

Read moreDetails

J&K Sets Up District Task Forces to Tackle Highway Safety on Supreme Court Mandate

Transforming the Jammu-Srinagar Highway – A Beacon of Progress
by K H News Service
August 19, 2026

Srinagar: Following directives from the Supreme Court of India in the Phalodi Accident vs. NHAI case, the Jammu and Kashmir...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire