• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest Update

Iran-US talks in Islamabad fail, both sides blame each other

United News of India by United News of India
April 12, 2026
in Latest Update, World
A A
Iran-US talks in Islamabad fail, both sides blame each other
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

Islamabad, Apr 12 (UNI) The much-hyped talks between Iran and the United States in Islamabad for peace in West Asia have failed.

While the US blamed Iran for rejecting the terms of an agreement, Iran said the talks ended without any outcome because of ‘excessive’ demands made by the US.

US Vice President J D Vance who was heading his country’s delegation at the talks, said they were returning home without a deal. The US delegation has since left for home.

They (tran) have chosen not to accept our terms, Vance told reporters before departing.

Iran said the two sides have not reached an agreement due to the US team’s excessive demands and ambitions. Tehran had insisted on securing Iran’s rights.

Vance said the key issue for the United States was whether Iran is willing to make a long-term commitment not to develop nuclear weapons.

The question is simple: do we see a fundamental commitment of will for the Iranians not to develop a nuclear weapon not just now, not just two years from now, but for the long term? We haven’t seen it yet. We hope that we will,’ he said.

Vance said that while Iran’s nuclear programme has been “destroyed,” there is still need for a clear and lasting commitment to prevent any future development of nuclear weapons.

He said that although there had been a number of substantive discussions, the failure to reach an agreement was ‘bad news for Iran much more than it’s bad news for the United States.

He said the proposal presented by the United States was its final and best offer.

“We’ve made it very clear what our red lines are, what things we are willing to accommodate them on and what things we are not willing to accommodate them on,’ Vance said, adding that the Iranian side chose not to accept those terms.

Iran said that during nearly 21 hours of intensive negotiations, their (Iranian) negotiating team, prevented the realization of US ‘excessive demands’ by preserving the fundamental rights of the people of Iran in various political and military fields and peaceful nuclear technology.

The US delegation included Vance, special envoy Steve Witkoff and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner while Iranian team included Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bager Qalibaf, Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araqchi and experts.

Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency quoted Iranian officials as saying that the US intended to achieve goals that they failed to achieve during the war, including the issue. of the Strait of Hormuz and the removal of nuclear materials from the country. The Iranian delegation thwarted that effort, Tasnim reported.

The Iranian team tried to push the American side towards reaching a common framework by offering various initiatives, but the American ‘greed for excessive demands had pushed them far from rationality and realism, Tasnim reported.

Vance said he spoke with President Donald Trump at least half a dozen times during the talks, and one of the most significant points of difference between the two sides had been around the development of nuclear weapons.

Iran government had said earlier that negotiations would continue and technical experts from both sides would exchange documents.

The Islamabad talks were the first direct US-Iran meeting in more than a decade and the highest-level discussions since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

The Iranian delegation had arrived in Islamabad on Friday dressed in black in mourning for late supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and others killed in the war.

They also carried shoes and bags of some of the 170 students who were killed in US bombing of a girls school at the beginning of the war.

United News of India

United News of India

United News of India

Related Posts

JERC approves 6.83pc average power tariff hike in J&K from September 1, Oppn slams NC

JERC approves 6.83pc average power tariff hike in J&K from September 1, Oppn slams NC
by United News of India
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22 (UNI) The Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission (JERC) for Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh has approved an average...

Read moreDetails

J&K DGP Nalin Prabhat Reviews Operations at TOBs in Ganderbal

J&K DGP Nalin Prabhat Reviews Operations at TOBs in Ganderbal
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Ganderbal, Aug 22: Jammu and Kashmir Director General of Police (DGP) Nalin Prabhat on Saturday conducted an operational review of...

Read moreDetails

GI QR labelling begins at Quality Control Lab of Handicrafts Dept

GI QR labelling begins at Quality Control Lab of Handicrafts Dept
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Lab shall certify non-textile & languishing crafts to add brand value and improve market reach SRINAGAR, AUGUST 22: In a...

Read moreDetails

NC Govt Betrays People Again: Free Power Promise Turns Into 6.83% Tariff Hike: Sunil Sharma

NC Govt Betrays People Again: Free Power Promise Turns Into 6.83% Tariff Hike: Sunil Sharma
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, August 22: Leader of Opposition in the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly, Sunil Sharma, on Saturday strongly criticised the...

Read moreDetails

Waheed Para Slams Power Tariff Hike In J&K, Questions Govt’s Poll Promises

Waheed Para Slams Power Tariff Hike In J&K, Questions Govt’s Poll Promises
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22 : People's Democratic Party (PDP) leader Waheed Ur Rehman Para on Saturday criticized the Jammu and Kashmir...

Read moreDetails

Power tariff hike shock for those promised 200 units free: Sajad Lone

PC Crowns “Pellet Queen” title to Mehbooba Mufti; Demands Unconditional Apology for Kashmiri Pellet Victims
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22: Peoples Conference President Sajad Gani Lone on Saturday said the 6.8% hike in electricity tariff is definitely...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire