• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home Top News

SMVDIME closure: Affected students say no adjustment order issued despite CM’s promise

K H News Service by K H News Service
January 22, 2026
in Top News
A A
SMVDIME closure: Affected students say no adjustment order issued despite CM’s promise
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

Say “They’re mentally distressed, Appeal govt to act before academic year is lost”

Srinagar : Two weeks after the National Medical Commission (NMC) scrapped the MBBS course at the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Institute of Medical Excellence (SMVDIME), uncertainty continues to haunt the 50 affected students, who allege that no concrete action has been taken on the ground so far despite repeated assurances from Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
The NMC’s Medical Assessment and Rating Board (MARB) on January 6, 2026, withdrew the Letter of Permission (LoP) granted to the college for the 2025–26 academic year, citing “gross and substantial deficiencies” and non-compliance with minimum standards. These included inadequate infrastructure, lack of essential equipment, insufficient faculty, and non-functional operation theatres.
The decision came months after the institute had received a conditional approval in September 2025.
While the withdrawal directly impacted the inaugural batch of 50 MBBS students, the uncertainty surrounding their future has now become a major cause of distress.
“Our college was scrapped all of a sudden, and along with it our mental health, our hard-earned MBBS seat, and our dreams were played with,” Umdat, one of the affected students said. “We worked for years to secure a medical seat. From building our foundation to become doctors, we are now left sitting idle, questioning where it went wrong—when it was never our mistake.”
Students said that immediately after the NMC decision, CM Omar Abdullah assured them that they would be adjusted in other government medical colleges in the Union Territory. However, they allege that no official notification or transfer order has been issued so far.
“The government assured us time and again that we would be shifted, but till today there is not a single official notice,” said Rakshan, another student. “It feels like after shutting down the college, everyone forgot about our existence. Was closing the college the only concern, while our lives were pushed into darkness?”
Another student, Ubair, said, “We are a batch of just 50 students, but the uncertainty could lead many of us to chronic depression. We have left the campus, classes are suspended, and we don’t know where or when we will resume our studies. Even our parents and families are very much depressed.”
Soon after the NMC announcement, classes at the institute were suspended, and students began vacating the campus, further adding to the sense of abandonment.
The affected students have now urged the government, especially CM Abdullah and Health Minister Sakeena Itoo, to act immediately, issue formal transfer orders, and ensure a smooth and time-bound adjustment process so that their academic year and mental well-being are not irreversibly damaged.
“The authorities must remember that behind the files and inspections are real students whose futures depend on swift and humane decision-making,” they said

K H News Service

K H News Service

Related Posts

People’s Participation Vital to Counter Terrorism, Narco-Terror: LG Sinha

From Awareness to Action: LG Sinha Ignites Next Phase for Drug-Free J&K
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

• LG lays foundation stone of Amriteshwar Sarovar at Sunderbani in Rajouri • Says “community solidarity essential to counter terror,...

Read moreDetails

World sees India as bright spot for growth: PM Modi

Paper Leak Accused Won’t Be Spared, Fast-Track Courts to Be Set Up: PM Modi
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Says "Production Linked Punishment model of earlier 'License Raj' governments" Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a veiled dig at Congress...

Read moreDetails

LG Sinha Calls Agriculture a New Frontier for Youth Entrepreneurship

LG Sinha invites suggestions for SMVDSB’s upcoming ‘International Goddess Museum’ at Katra
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

•Urges youth to turn local agricultural challenges into startups and jobs •Calls for greater use of AI, technology and innovation...

Read moreDetails

Govt’s committed to deport every illegal immigrant from country: HM Amit Shah

Fuel excise cut brings relief amid global crisis: Amit Shah hails PM Modi’s move
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Siliguri( West Bengal) :The Union Home and Cooperatives Minister, Amit Shah inaugurated a 6-day awareness exhibition on the three New...

Read moreDetails

CM Omar inaugurates Srinagar’s first ‘Waste to Wonder’ Flower Garden

CM Omar inaugurates Srinagar’s first ‘Waste to Wonder’ Flower Garden
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Says “Garden showcases creative reuse of discarded materials, promotes sustainable landscaping” Srinagar :Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Friday inaugurated Srinagar’s first...

Read moreDetails

CM Omar felicitates J&K’s four NEET toppers

CM Omar felicitates J&K’s four NEET toppers
by K H News Service
August 22, 2026

Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Friday felicitated four outstanding NEET achievers from Jammu and Kashmir, recognising their exceptional performance in...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire