Technology has made a tremendous impact on most aspects of our lives. However, the impact that technology has had on the transportation industry is largely unknown. Modern transportation is a relatively recently developed mode of travel. However, over time, it has become more and more popular with people across the world. In recent years, transportation has come in many forms. Some people might consider this to be a good thing because it allows for more people to get around town. Others might have negative opinions about this form of transportation because it is often difficult to find and use.
Some disadvantages of modern transportation:
1. Vehicles Pollution: The truth is that there are many disadvantages to using surface transportation systems such as cars and trains due to all the traffic congestion. Cars are bigger polluters than other means of transport. Then there is the factor of standing in lines for hours. These factors just cause so much more pollution that our air quality suffers.
2. Traffic Congestion: Traffic congestion is a huge issue. The city of Los Angeles has a notorious traffic problem. It gets so bad that at one time the average drive time to work was around 54 minutes. Congestion also reduces productivity and creates a huge environmental disaster. Traffic jams and horns of bikes and cars make pollution that is dangerous to the environment.
3. High-Cost Vehicle: The high cost of transportation is also a major problem in people’s life. Nowadays higher prices of modern transportation are causing many problems in the lives of people. Modern transportation systems in cities cost much. People are spending a lot of money to buy a vehicle that is very costly and has high maintenance costs.
4. Climate Change: Carbon dioxide emission is becoming a major concern for many environmentalists and climate change activists. One of the main reasons for this is the number of cars, trucks, and other vehicles that we use. The emissions produced by modern transportation are causing major problems for the planet. The air pollution caused by these vehicles is also a problem that nobody wants to see.
5. Accidents and Breakdowns: Driving can be a dangerous activity. It is estimated that over 1.3 million people die each year in traffic accidents worldwide.
Our population is increasing; the available means of transport are just not adequate. This is why many people now buy their own cars for use on the road thereby causing traffic. Government should therefore help to build more road networks to serve us more efficiently.
Solutions to the Problems of Modern Transport
1. Proper Maintenance of the Means of Transport: Solution is not only in acquiring the means of transport such as vehicles, trains or ships but proper attention from private owners and the government should be given to them. The engines and the parts of these means of transport should be serviced properly and timely.
2. Subsidizing Cost of Transportation: Government can come to the aid of our transporters by giving soft loans to them or subsidizing the cost of acquiring the means of transport.
3. Proper Professional Training: The various categories of workers in the transport sector need to be trained. The training could be in the form of seminars, talks, workshops, on how the means of transport should be maintained and how they should do their job professionally, so as to prevent monetary losses and accidents.
4. Construction of More Roads: Since our population is increasing, the available means of transport are just not adequate. This is why many people now buy their own cars for use on the road thereby causing traffic. Government should therefore help to build more road networks to serve us more efficiently.
(The author is a [email protected]&K School Education Department. The views, opinions, facts, assumptions, presumptions and conclusions expressed in this article are those of the author and aren’t necessarily in accord with the views of “Kashmir Horizon”.)
Leave a Reply