• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home World

Twenty leading Chinese scientists died after lifting of Covid restrictions

United News of India by United News of India
January 8, 2023
in World
A A
100% vaccination of 45 plus achieved in the district: DC B’gam
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

Beijing: Twenty leading engineers and scientists of the Chinese Academy of Engineering have died less in a month after the lifting of the COVID-19 restrictions, which is more than the average annual mortality among academics, Chinese media reported
The Chinese Academy of Engineering is one of the country’s leading academic institutions and the most prestigious engineering school. It has over 900 members, which have participated in almost all China’s megaprojects, including the world’s largest Three Gorges hydroelectric dam, the high-speed rail network, and the Tiangong space station.
Twenty members of the Academy have died between December 15 and January 4, while in 2017-2020, an average of 16 scientists died per year, and 13 academics died in 2021, the South China Morning Post newspaper reported on Saturday.
The youngest Academy’s member died in December was 77-year-old physicist Ti Tianchu, who specialized in in atomic clocks, and 102-year-old Zhang Jinzhe, who found China’s first pediatric surgery department at the Peking University’s hospital in 1950, was the oldest. China has also lost a chief engineer of fast nuclear reactor program, a designer of the first optical fiber, a founding engineer of the rare earth industry and a top laser weapons expert.
The Academy of Engineering have not specified the cause of death of any of its members.
In late December, former chief scientist of the Center for Disease Control Zeng Guang stated that, according to his estimates, over 80% of residents of Beijing, home for most Chinese scientists, are infected with COVID-19.
A doctor working at a large hospital in Beijing told the newspaper on condition of anonymity that all members of the Academy usually receive high-quality medical treatment equivalent to that received by deputy ministers, however, there is simply no room in hospitals now due to high load caused by eased restrictions in China.
A scientist who asked not to reveal his name said that it was too early to evaluate the pandemic’s impact on China’s science and technology sector.
“Now our border is reopening. We can meet with colleagues from around the world to generate new ideas again, and work closely on some exciting projects,” he said.
In December last year, China’s government started to gradually ease its zero tolerance anti-COVID-19 restrictions. Among other things, the authorities have introduced the abolition of indiscriminate PCR testing, the ability for asymptomatic citizens or those with mild symptoms to remain in home isolation, lifting restrictions on online and offline purchases of antipyretics. On January 8, obligatory PCR tests and centralized isolation for people arriving to China were canceled.
Meanwhile, China is experiencing rapidly surging number of infections. Citizens with mild symptoms are allowed to stay at home, while only patients in critical condition are hospitalized. However, China’s healthcare system seems to be challenged, with hospitals in major cities being overcrowded.
UNI/SPUTNIK

United News of India

United News of India

United News of India

Related Posts

Trump holds up India’s election system as model, pushes US Congress to pass SAVE America Act

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports
by United News of India
August 19, 2026

Washington : US President Donald Trump cited India's election system as a perfect model for the United States, pointing to...

Read moreDetails

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports
by United News of India
August 10, 2026

Moscow, Aug 10 (Sputnik/UNI) US President Donald Trump privately floated the idea of possibly ending the conflict with Iran without...

Read moreDetails

Houthis claim drone attack on Saudi Aramco facility in Jizan

Hermes 900 Starliner Drones Set To Be Inducted Into Indian Army
by United News of India
August 10, 2026

Jijan, Aug 9 (UNI) Yemen's Houthi group on Sunday claimed responsibility for a drone attack on a Saudi Aramco facility...

Read moreDetails

US VP JD Vance Dials PM Modi,  Review India-US Strategic Roadmap

US VP JD Vance Dials PM Modi,  Review India-US Strategic Roadmap
by United News of India
August 9, 2026

      High-level phone call reaffirms commitment to critical tech, defense, trade         MEA firmly dismisses US congressional comments on FCRA...

Read moreDetails

Trump says he still wants to reach deal with Iran

‘Iran starved of cash;, want Hormuz open because they are losing 500 mn USD a day: Trump
by United News of India
August 6, 2026

Washington, Aug 6 (Sputnik/UNI) US President Donald Trump said that he still wants to reach a deal with Iran. "I'd...

Read moreDetails

Last chance’ before ‘decapitation’: Trump after halting ‘biggest attack since World War II

‘Iran starved of cash;, want Hormuz open because they are losing 500 mn USD a day: Trump
by United News of India
August 4, 2026

Washington, Aug 4 (UNI) President Donald Trump said Iran had one "last chance" to accept a US nuclear deal before...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire