Decision making is one of the most exhausting mental processes of human life. Still in our daily life we have to make a lot of quality decisions for a successful career and peaceful life. Most of these decisions are shaped by the environment around us. Although most of us have the freedom to make a wide range of choices at any given moment, we often make decisions based on the environment we find ourselves in which largely depends on the people living around us. But, many individuals have limited capacity to make a decision which in turn becomes a problem. They feel that decision-making is a very challenging task. The good news is our brains are wired for being able to grapple with these types of challenges. One of the interesting aspects about our brains is that they are literally wired and electric. They are growing organs inside our bodies that are responsible for how we acclimate to change, success, love and fear. This also means that they need to be taken care of, nourished, and that tactics for better decision-making can be learned and implemented. So, here are several methods to optimize your daily decisions.
Decision-making can sometimes be difficult as well because we become too personally invested in how a decision will make .To solve any problem and make decision objectively, put your emotion and ego on the back-burner. You will make better decisions by focusing on the facts instead of personal deficiencies.
The decisions we are making have likely been made in the past by someone else. While the problems we are trying to solve are unique to us, it is highly probable that someone else has solved the same issue at a larger scale. To make better decisions, seek help from more than one person. Serve up the facts, our thoughts and the options we are considering. A neutral third-party to help us make decisions will keep us objective.
Effective decision-making is a valuable skill in any workplace. Having the ability to make a well-informed decision can help you become a more productive employee because it can save time and help you make better use of resources. Let us learn how to do decision-making and how to improve your decision-making skills.
Some methods that can optimize your decision making:
1. Improve your decisions by being collaboratively independent. Waiting for committees to make decision may take longer time. For some situations, you can ask experts some pointed questions to enhance your decision.
2. Sometimes, it is better for a project to be delivered 90% complete a few hours early than 100% complete ten minutes late. Stop seeking perfection and be efficient in your decision making. The moment you stop waiting for everything to be perfect only then you can optimize your decisions daily. Do not delay in your decision making because some critical issues needs swift decision.
3. Make one decision at a given time. This exercise reduces mental stress and produces greater result for your business or as an individual.
4. Plan ahead so that you don’t get caught up in the middle of a meeting or other activities when you are required to make an urgent decision. Be in control and decide what activities you focus on daily.
5. It is okay not to have a complete data before making your decisions, but it is your responsibility to seek the right data. Use qualitative and quantitative customer feedback for analysis before proceeding with your decision. This process can optimize your daily decisions.
6. Admit your mistakes and don’t beat yourself up once you go wrong. Write down the mistake once you fail for reflection purpose. This can help you optimize your decision for the next day without repeating such mistakes in your decision.
7. Always automate your decisions and establish a daily routine whereby some events can be fixed for a particular time and duration.
8. Always avoid making crucial decisions in your worst moods.
(The author is a teacher at Govt. Higher Secondary School Damhall Anantnag. Views are his own)