Washington/Nov,6: President Donald Trump’s campaign lost court rulings in the closely contested states of Georgia and Michigan on Thursday, even as it vowed to bring a new lawsuit challenging what it called voting irregularities in Nevada.
In the Georgia case, the campaign alleged that 53 late-arriving ballots were mixed with on-time ballots. In Michigan, it had sought to stop votes from being counted and obtain greater access to the tabulation process.State judges tossed out both lawsuits on Thursday.
James Bass, a Superior Court judge in Georgia, said there was “no evidence” that the ballots in question were invalid.In the Michigan case, Judge Cynthia Stephens said: “I have no basis to find that there is a substantial likelihood of success on the merits.”A Trump campaign spokeswoman did not respond to requests for comment on the Michigan and Georgia rulings.
Trump allies also alleged that there had been voting irregularities in Nevada’s populous Clark County, which includes Las Vegas.
Votes are still being counted in all three states, among a handful of battleground states that could decide the presidency. Democratic challenger Joe Biden has a narrow lead in Nevada, Trump a narrow lead in Georgia, and Biden has been projected to win in Michigan.At a news conference in Las Vegas on Thursday, former Nevada Attorney General Adam Laxalt and other Trump campaign surrogates, including former administration official Richard Grenell, gave no evidence to support their allegations of irregularities and did not answer questions from reporters.”We believe that there are dead voters that have been counted. We are also confident that there are thousands of people whose votes have been counted that have moved out of Clark County during the pandemic,” Laxalt said.He said a lawsuit would be filed in federal court to ask the judge to “stop the counting of improper votes.” Joe Gloria, an election official in Clark County, told reporters there was no evidence of improper ballots being processed.