• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest Update

Pangong Tso still a concern, no response from China so far

KH Web Desk by KH Web Desk
June 13, 2020
in Latest Update, Main Story
A A
US “very concerned” about religious freedom in India: Trump admin official
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

New Delhi/June,13 :Defence Minister Rajnath Singh met the military brass Friday for another review of the situation in eastern Ladakh where the Chinese, while agreeing to withdraw from some points along the , have so far not responded to Indian concerns over pangongTso. The faceoff between the two armies continues there, reported Indian Express Saturday morning.

It was on the banks of this contested lake that Indian and Chinese troops came to blows on the night of May 5-6, triggering deployment of troops by both sides at multiple points along the LAC in eastern Ladakh.

Quoting Indian Army sources the report said  that though the Chinese have accepted India’s views about other points in the region, they have not accepted or responded to Indian concerns over the ground situation in Pangong Tso — not even at the June 6 meeting between XIV Corps Commander Lt General Harinder Singh and South Xinjiang Military District Commander Major General Liu Lin.

In Pangong Tso, Chinese troops are not allowing Indian patrols beyond Finger 4 – it is 8 km west of Finger 8 which India says denotes the LAC.

“At all other places, our contentions have been accepted,” Army sources said, but on Pangong Tso, “they haven’t accepted our contention at all… there is no visible response from their side… (troops are) going to stay longer at that point”.

As reported by The Indian Express, satellite imagery from May 27 showed that the Chinese had “substantial” presence between Finger 4 and Finger 8, a grey area which used to be patrolled by both armies earlier. India wants restoration of status quo ante – that the Chinese vacate the grey area.

Army sources said the first hint came last year when Indian troops, who used to patrol the road along the north bank of the lake, were stopped by Chinese troops multiple times from reaching Finger 8 between August and September.

In the second week of September, sources said, Indian troops began taking an alternate track to reach Finger 8 on foot, going behind the Finger 4 hill. This was objected to by the Chinese.

A former officer who served in the area said it is not uncommon for both sides to intercept each other’s patrol party and stop it from completing its objective — for Indian troops, patrolling has to be till Finger 8, and for the Chinese troops, the objective is to reach Finger 4.

But now, Chinese troops have blocked all access to the area beyond Finger 4, effectively taking control of approximately 60 sq. km.

On Friday, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh held another review meeting in Delhi with Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat, Army chief General MM Naravane, Navy chief Admiral Karambir Singh and IAF chief Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria.

Following the June 6 meeting between commanders of the two armies at the Chushul-Moldo border point, there has been some retreat by both sides at a few points in Galwan and Hot Spring areas, but the roadmap for further easing of the situation is still to be discussed.

Divisional commanders of the two sides met Wednesday. Army sources said the date for the next discussion has not yet been confirmed. “Negotiations will be slow, and will take some time,” sources said.

KH Web Desk

KH Web Desk

Related Posts

Director Agriculture Kashmir visits S.M Farm Tapper Kreeri, takes stock of Agriculture activities

Director Agriculture Kashmir visits S.M Farm Tapper Kreeri, takes stock of Agriculture activities
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

SRINAGAR, AUGUST 22:- Director Agriculture Kashmir, Sartaj Ahmad Shah visited Seed Multiplication Farm Tapper Kreeri and took stock of various...

Read moreDetails

DC Srinagar chairs DLSCC meeting; several cases recommended for compassionate appointment and cash compensation under SRO-43

DC Srinagar chairs DLSCC meeting; several cases recommended for compassionate appointment and cash compensation under SRO-43
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

SRINAGAR AUGUST 22:- A meeting of District Level Screening cum Coordination Committee (DLSCC) was today held under the chairmanship of...

Read moreDetails

JERC approves 6.83pc average power tariff hike in J&K from September 1, Oppn slams NC

JERC approves 6.83pc average power tariff hike in J&K from September 1, Oppn slams NC
by United News of India
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22 (UNI) The Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission (JERC) for Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh has approved an average...

Read moreDetails

J&K DGP Nalin Prabhat Reviews Operations at TOBs in Ganderbal

J&K DGP Nalin Prabhat Reviews Operations at TOBs in Ganderbal
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Ganderbal, Aug 22: Jammu and Kashmir Director General of Police (DGP) Nalin Prabhat on Saturday conducted an operational review of...

Read moreDetails

GI QR labelling begins at Quality Control Lab of Handicrafts Dept

GI QR labelling begins at Quality Control Lab of Handicrafts Dept
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Lab shall certify non-textile & languishing crafts to add brand value and improve market reach SRINAGAR, AUGUST 22: In a...

Read moreDetails

NC Govt Betrays People Again: Free Power Promise Turns Into 6.83% Tariff Hike: Sunil Sharma

NC Govt Betrays People Again: Free Power Promise Turns Into 6.83% Tariff Hike: Sunil Sharma
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, August 22: Leader of Opposition in the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly, Sunil Sharma, on Saturday strongly criticised the...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire