• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Sunday, August 23, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home World

Death toll in Egypt’s Alexandria train crash rises to 49

Agencies by Agencies
August 12, 2017
in World
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

Alexandria: The death toll in Egypt’s Alexandria train crash rises to 49, officials at the scene confirmed, with authorities saying they expect the number to rise as more bodies are pulled from the wreckage.
So far, 123 have been confirmed injured after a train coming from Cairo and another coming from Port Said collided in the Khurshid area of Alexandria on Friday. Egypt’s Prime Minister Dr. Sherif Ismail said that hospitals in Alexandria are in high alert to receive the victims of the crash, according to media reports. The Governor of Alexandria Dr. Mohammed Sultan said that a wrong signal from a railway worker caused the collision.
Egyptian Attorney General Hisham Barakat has confirmed that authorities have opened an urgent investigation into the train crash. As per the statement the collision happened when train 13 hit the rear carriages of train 571. The statement pointed out that a committee was formed to arrange for lifting the two trains from the crash scene.
Pictures of lifeless bodies emerged, revealing children, parents and families forever separated, according to Al Arabiya news channel. Other pictures showcased remains of body parts being collected and sorted into bags, others stuck between the trains. Volunteers at the scene sent word for families and relatives of children who lost their parents in the unfortunate accident. They urgently called upon them to retrieve the kids from hospitals in Alexandria. Mohamad Khalid was one of the many children who lost both of his parents in the crash.
The local people come together, working hand in hand to help the survivors and transport them to ambulances to receive medical attention. The citizens also helped establish a controlled area to preserve the remains of the deceased and their valuables from theft, after which they will be handed over to authorities. Not to mention, hundreds of youth who rushed to donate blood for the injured, and worked to launch social media campaigns to search for their families.
Meanwhile, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman sent a cable of condolence to President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi of Egypt, following a collision of two trains, near the city of Alexandria, that left about dozens dead and scores injured.
“We have learned with great pain the news of a train collision near Alexandria, resulting in deaths and injuries. On behalf of myself, the government and people of Saudi Arabia, I offer my deepest condolence and sincere consolation to Your Excellency, as well as to the families of the victims and the people of Egypt,” the King said in his cable. The King prayed to Almighty Allah to bestow mercy on the deceased as well as to enable their families to be patient in overcoming this tragedy.
Crown Prince Muhammad Bin Salman, deputy premier and minister of defense, also sent a similar cable of condolence to Al-Sisi. “I received with pain the news of a train collision near Alexandria, resulting in deaths and injuries. I offer to Your Excellency and the families of all victims, my deepest condolences and sincere consolation, praying to the Almighty Allah to bestow mercy on the dead and speedy recovery to the injured,” he said.

IINA

 

Agencies

Agencies

Related Posts

Trump holds up India’s election system as model, pushes US Congress to pass SAVE America Act

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports
by United News of India
August 19, 2026

Washington : US President Donald Trump cited India's election system as a perfect model for the United States, pointing to...

Read moreDetails

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports
by United News of India
August 10, 2026

Moscow, Aug 10 (Sputnik/UNI) US President Donald Trump privately floated the idea of possibly ending the conflict with Iran without...

Read moreDetails

Houthis claim drone attack on Saudi Aramco facility in Jizan

Hermes 900 Starliner Drones Set To Be Inducted Into Indian Army
by United News of India
August 10, 2026

Jijan, Aug 9 (UNI) Yemen's Houthi group on Sunday claimed responsibility for a drone attack on a Saudi Aramco facility...

Read moreDetails

US VP JD Vance Dials PM Modi,  Review India-US Strategic Roadmap

US VP JD Vance Dials PM Modi,  Review India-US Strategic Roadmap
by United News of India
August 9, 2026

      High-level phone call reaffirms commitment to critical tech, defense, trade         MEA firmly dismisses US congressional comments on FCRA...

Read moreDetails

Trump says he still wants to reach deal with Iran

‘Iran starved of cash;, want Hormuz open because they are losing 500 mn USD a day: Trump
by United News of India
August 6, 2026

Washington, Aug 6 (Sputnik/UNI) US President Donald Trump said that he still wants to reach a deal with Iran. "I'd...

Read moreDetails

Last chance’ before ‘decapitation’: Trump after halting ‘biggest attack since World War II

‘Iran starved of cash;, want Hormuz open because they are losing 500 mn USD a day: Trump
by United News of India
August 4, 2026

Washington, Aug 4 (UNI) President Donald Trump said Iran had one "last chance" to accept a US nuclear deal before...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire