• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home World

Taliban kill 30 Afghan soldiers as fighting intensifies: army spokesman

United News of India by United News of India
July 26, 2017
in World
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

KANDAHAR: Taliban fighters killed 30 soldiers in an attack on an army base in the southern province of Kandahar, an army spokesman said today, as heavy fighting raged across the country. Sediq Esa, spokesman for the 205th Corps in Kandahar, said the Taliban attacked an outpost in Khakriz district, to the north of Kandahar city, overnight, seizing the outpost and capturing weapons and vehicles. “As a result of the fighting, 30 army personnel have been killed and others wounded,” he said. However the 205th Corps commander, Gen Imam Nazar, disputed the death toll and said reinforcements had arrived to beat back the insurgents. The attack came after days of fierce fighting across Afghanistan and underlined the steadily deteriorating security in much of the country, which has also seen a string of high profile attacks in cities including the capital Kabul.

While the fighting has intensified, the United States, which is expected to send around another 4,000 troops to Afghanistan to bolster its existing training mission, is still to announce its new strategy for the region. The Taliban, fighting to restore Islamic rule to Afghanistan 16 years after being driven from power by a US-led campaign, controls or contests at least 40 per cent of the country, inflicting what US advisers say are unsustainable casualties on Afghan security forces. In the first 10 months of last year alone, some 6,785 soldiers and police were killed.

Today, the Taliban’s main spokesman said the insurgents were close to taking Waygal district in the eastern province of Nuristan, a day after they took Jani Kheil district in Paktika province, further to the south. Over the past week, the insurgents have also taken districts in Ghor province in the west and Faryab in the north, although the defence ministry said government forces had retaken Kohistan district in Faryab. Kunduz, the northern city which the Taliban captured briefly in 2015 and managed to enter in 2016, has also been under heavy pressure. US advisers say that Afghan security forces, fighting largely alone since a NATO-led coalition ended its main combat mission in 2014, have made progress but still rely too much on vulnerable checkpoints exposed to Taliban attack.

REUTERS

 

United News of India

United News of India

United News of India

Related Posts

Trump holds up India’s election system as model, pushes US Congress to pass SAVE America Act

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports
by United News of India
August 19, 2026

Washington : US President Donald Trump cited India's election system as a perfect model for the United States, pointing to...

Read moreDetails

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports
by United News of India
August 10, 2026

Moscow, Aug 10 (Sputnik/UNI) US President Donald Trump privately floated the idea of possibly ending the conflict with Iran without...

Read moreDetails

Houthis claim drone attack on Saudi Aramco facility in Jizan

Hermes 900 Starliner Drones Set To Be Inducted Into Indian Army
by United News of India
August 10, 2026

Jijan, Aug 9 (UNI) Yemen's Houthi group on Sunday claimed responsibility for a drone attack on a Saudi Aramco facility...

Read moreDetails

US VP JD Vance Dials PM Modi,  Review India-US Strategic Roadmap

US VP JD Vance Dials PM Modi,  Review India-US Strategic Roadmap
by United News of India
August 9, 2026

      High-level phone call reaffirms commitment to critical tech, defense, trade         MEA firmly dismisses US congressional comments on FCRA...

Read moreDetails

Trump says he still wants to reach deal with Iran

‘Iran starved of cash;, want Hormuz open because they are losing 500 mn USD a day: Trump
by United News of India
August 6, 2026

Washington, Aug 6 (Sputnik/UNI) US President Donald Trump said that he still wants to reach a deal with Iran. "I'd...

Read moreDetails

Last chance’ before ‘decapitation’: Trump after halting ‘biggest attack since World War II

‘Iran starved of cash;, want Hormuz open because they are losing 500 mn USD a day: Trump
by United News of India
August 4, 2026

Washington, Aug 4 (UNI) President Donald Trump said Iran had one "last chance" to accept a US nuclear deal before...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire