• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home World

Muslim worshiper stopped and searched on way to mosque in London

Agencies by Agencies
July 13, 2017
in World
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

London: A Muslim man in London street was subjected to a stop and search by police officers because they thought he was wearing too many clothes as he walked to Friday prayers.
Muhammad Chamoune was heading to London’s Regent’s Park Mosque when he was pulled over by officers from the capital’s Metropolitan Police.
Video footage of the incident shows Chamoune standing handcuffed as officer question and search him, The Independent reported.
A woman, reportedly an off-duty officer, can also be seen. She is thought to have alerted the force because she was concerned at the number of layers the man was wearing.
The officers put on plastic gloves before they start to search him, going through his pockets and taking out his belongings.
The man filming the incident can be heard saying: “He’s going to the mosque. He’s got nothing on him I can vouch for him.”
Two other Officers arrive and take Chamoune’s name, and he remains quiet and patient as he continues to be searched. Six minutes later, he is released.
The film of the incident, which has been shared more than 18,000 times and had more than five million views has been branded “unlawful” and “unreasonable” by members of the public.
It is said to have “caused major concern for Muslims across the UK.” One Twitter wrote: “Walking while being Muslim that was what the issue was.”
Another wrote: “So just because he is Muslim, has a beard and wears a few layers is reasonable grounds to stop and search?”
The Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (PACE), which governs police powers to stop and search outlines that the police must have “reasonable grounds for suspicion.” prior to being able to use stop and search powers (PACE Code A 2.2).
It states that a person’s physical appearance cannot be used to support “reasonable suspicion” unless “the police have information or intelligence which provides a description of a person suspected of carrying an article for which there is a power to stop and search.”
But the Metropolitan Police said the officers responded “quickly and appropriately” to the situation, saying the man was “deemed to be acting suspiciously in the vicinity of a mosque”.
Charity the Muslim Engagement and Development (MEND) said in a statement the footage had been a “major” cause for concern for Muslims across Britain, but urged caution in formulating premature judgments regarding the police action.
From his side, Chief Executive of the charity, Sufyan Ismail later told The Independent MEND’s Islamophobia Response Unit had been in touch with the Met Police and Chamoune and intended to host a roundtable to discuss the incident.
“We have noted the statement by the Met Police for the reasons behind their search and now intend on hosting a meeting with all parties involved to conclude on the matter,” he said.
A Met spokesperson said: “Officers are aware of the vulnerability of faith premises and acted accordingly. It is imperative that we act on information we receive positively and proactively to help safeguard communities. The man was searched; he was not arrested. Officers explained the reasons for the search and no complaint had been received at this stage.”
SM/IINA

Agencies

Agencies

Related Posts

Trump holds up India’s election system as model, pushes US Congress to pass SAVE America Act

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports
by United News of India
August 19, 2026

Washington : US President Donald Trump cited India's election system as a perfect model for the United States, pointing to...

Read moreDetails

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports
by United News of India
August 10, 2026

Moscow, Aug 10 (Sputnik/UNI) US President Donald Trump privately floated the idea of possibly ending the conflict with Iran without...

Read moreDetails

Houthis claim drone attack on Saudi Aramco facility in Jizan

Hermes 900 Starliner Drones Set To Be Inducted Into Indian Army
by United News of India
August 10, 2026

Jijan, Aug 9 (UNI) Yemen's Houthi group on Sunday claimed responsibility for a drone attack on a Saudi Aramco facility...

Read moreDetails

US VP JD Vance Dials PM Modi,  Review India-US Strategic Roadmap

US VP JD Vance Dials PM Modi,  Review India-US Strategic Roadmap
by United News of India
August 9, 2026

      High-level phone call reaffirms commitment to critical tech, defense, trade         MEA firmly dismisses US congressional comments on FCRA...

Read moreDetails

Trump says he still wants to reach deal with Iran

‘Iran starved of cash;, want Hormuz open because they are losing 500 mn USD a day: Trump
by United News of India
August 6, 2026

Washington, Aug 6 (Sputnik/UNI) US President Donald Trump said that he still wants to reach a deal with Iran. "I'd...

Read moreDetails

Last chance’ before ‘decapitation’: Trump after halting ‘biggest attack since World War II

‘Iran starved of cash;, want Hormuz open because they are losing 500 mn USD a day: Trump
by United News of India
August 4, 2026

Washington, Aug 4 (UNI) President Donald Trump said Iran had one "last chance" to accept a US nuclear deal before...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire