• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home World

Ebola cases rising in DR Congo

United News of India by United News of India
March 30, 2019
in World
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

United Nations: A rise in new cases of deadly Ebola virus disease in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has been announced, while authorities say that progress is being made in accessing communities that have been wary of outside help, the UN World Health Organisation (WHO) has said.
Latest data from 26 March, indicates a total of 1,029 confirmed and probable cases of Ebola, while 642 people have died, making the latest outbreak of the deadly haemorrhagic fever, which is endemic in the DRC, the worst in the country’s history.

More than 320 patients have recovered and been discharged from treatment centres, according to the Government’s health ministry, which says that 125 new cases of infection were reported from 51 health areas in North Kivu and Ituri provinces in the past week.

Most patients came from the known virus hotspots of Katwa (36 cases) and Butembo (14), along with three emerging clusters in Mandima (19), Masereka (18) and Vuhovi (17).

All new cases have been linked to known chains of transmission, indicating that contact tracing, vaccination and isolation of carriers for treatment is working, said WHO.
“No major security incidents” have been reported in the last 10 days but the overall situation remains “fragile”, WHO says – a reference to several recent attacks on Ebola Treatment Centres by armed groups.

Attacks on Ebola Treatment Centres in Katwa and Butembo “represented the first large-scale and organised attacks targeted directly at the Ebola response”, WHO said in a statement, describing them as “a different order of magnitude” to incidents linked to mistrust in communities, or “dangers of being caught in crossfire between fighting parties”.

In its latest risk assessment of the outbreak, the UN health agency concluded that the national and regional risk levels are still “very high”, although the global risk remains low.

WHO insisted, meanwhile, that efforts to encourage communities to participate more in countering Ebola, had been successful.

Progress is being made in Mandima, Masereka and Vuhovi, where aid teams have regained access, despite sporadic violence from armed groups and mistrust in some affected communities.

In Butembo and Katwa this week, more than 4,000 households have been visited by community health volunteers and Red Cross volunteers.

Nine community committees have also been set up this week to encourage better communication between healthcare workers and the local population, WHO said.

Special discussion groups have also been held in communities where tackling Ebola has proved most challenging, with youth leaders, women’s associations, traditional practitioners and healthcare providers.

This week’s Ebola update from the authorities in DRC highlights just how dangerous the outbreak is, in view of its 62 per cent fatality rate.

Of a total of 1,029 reported cases, 57 per cent (584) were female, and 30 per cent (307) were children. The number of healthcare workers affected has risen to 78 (8 per cent of total cases), including 27 deaths.

United News of India

United News of India

United News of India

Related Posts

Trump holds up India’s election system as model, pushes US Congress to pass SAVE America Act

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports
by United News of India
August 19, 2026

Washington : US President Donald Trump cited India's election system as a perfect model for the United States, pointing to...

Read moreDetails

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports
by United News of India
August 10, 2026

Moscow, Aug 10 (Sputnik/UNI) US President Donald Trump privately floated the idea of possibly ending the conflict with Iran without...

Read moreDetails

Houthis claim drone attack on Saudi Aramco facility in Jizan

Hermes 900 Starliner Drones Set To Be Inducted Into Indian Army
by United News of India
August 10, 2026

Jijan, Aug 9 (UNI) Yemen's Houthi group on Sunday claimed responsibility for a drone attack on a Saudi Aramco facility...

Read moreDetails

US VP JD Vance Dials PM Modi,  Review India-US Strategic Roadmap

US VP JD Vance Dials PM Modi,  Review India-US Strategic Roadmap
by United News of India
August 9, 2026

      High-level phone call reaffirms commitment to critical tech, defense, trade         MEA firmly dismisses US congressional comments on FCRA...

Read moreDetails

Trump says he still wants to reach deal with Iran

‘Iran starved of cash;, want Hormuz open because they are losing 500 mn USD a day: Trump
by United News of India
August 6, 2026

Washington, Aug 6 (Sputnik/UNI) US President Donald Trump said that he still wants to reach a deal with Iran. "I'd...

Read moreDetails

Last chance’ before ‘decapitation’: Trump after halting ‘biggest attack since World War II

‘Iran starved of cash;, want Hormuz open because they are losing 500 mn USD a day: Trump
by United News of India
August 4, 2026

Washington, Aug 4 (UNI) President Donald Trump said Iran had one "last chance" to accept a US nuclear deal before...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire