• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Saturday, August 22, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest Update

India abstain from voting on US sponsored resolution moved condemn Hamas activities

KH Web Desk by KH Web Desk
December 7, 2018
in Latest Update
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

New York /Dec,7: India has abstained from voting on a UN General Assembly draft resolution put forward by the US that would have condemned the activities of Hamas and other militant groups in Gaza.

The resolution ‘Activities of Hamas and other militant groups in Gaza’ got 87 votes in favour, 58 against with 32 abstentions.

The resolution failed to be adopted Thursday as it could not garner two-thirds support in the General Assembly.

India was among the 32 countries that abstained from voting on the resolution which would have condemned Hamas for “repeatedly firing rockets into Israel and for inciting violence, thereby putting civilians at risk”, and for its use of resources in Gaza to construct military infrastructure including tunnels to infiltrate Israel and equipment to launch rockets into civilian areas.

The resolution had specified that further engagement by the UN Secretary-General, and the UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, in efforts to de-escalate the situation in Gaza, was also needed.

Through a procedural vote held before the main vote on the resolution, the Assembly had voted to apply the two-thirds majority requirement for the adoption of the draft.

Before the voting, US Permanent Representative to the UN Nikki Haley said that despite more than 500 General Assembly resolutions condemning Israel, not one condemning Hamas has ever been adopted.

She described the two-thirds decision, which passed by just a handful of votes, as “unfair” adding that the Hamas resolution was an opportunity for States to “do the right thing.”

“There is nothing more anti-Semitic than saying we cannot condemn terrorism against Israel, while we would not hesitate for one minute to condemn the same acts if they were taken against any other country… The people who have suffered by far the most because of Hamas are the Palestinian people. For their sake, the world should speak out against the destruction of Hamas and what it continues to cause,” she said.

Israeli Ambassador Danny Danon said that the resolution had been a chance for “UN redemption” and that those who had voted against it “should be ashamed of themselves”.

He said Hamas exploits the people of Gaza, adding that the organisation is in flagrant violation of international law.

There is no difference between Hamas, and Al-Qaida and Boko Haram, he said, adding that as the Jewish people are celebrating Hanukkah, the plurality of Member States of the United Nations has chosen to condemn Hamas.

A number of States explained their reasons for voting against the resolution.

The Saudi Arabian representative stated that, since 1967, Israel has not respected any General Assembly or Security Council resolutions, whilst Kuwait and Iran’s representatives said that the resolution “ignores” and “deflects attention from” the root causes of the conflict.

The representative of Kuwait called for respecting relevant United Nations resolutions in efforts to address the Palestinian-Israeli conflict and stressed the importance of a two State solution based on pre-1967 borders.

Speaking after action had been taken on the drafts, the Permanent Observer for the State of Palestine said the strong support for draft that was adopted was an unequivocal affirmation, especially significant in view of actions aimed at eroding the global consensus for a just solution for the Palestinian people.

KH Web Desk

KH Web Desk

Related Posts

Body of 18-Year-Old Srinagar Youth Recovered from Nallah Sindh After Two Days

Body of 18-Year-Old Srinagar Youth Recovered from Nallah Sindh After Two Days
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Youth had gone missing while bathing near Kijpara in Kangan; search operation launched by police and locals Ganderbal, Aug 22:...

Read moreDetails

Elderly Woman Injured In Bear Attack In Anantnag

Elderly Woman Injured In Bear Attack In Anantnag
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 23:An elderly woman was injured after being attacked by a wild bear in Achabal area of south Kashmir's...

Read moreDetails

Power Tariff in J&K Likely to Rise From September 1 as JERC Approves 6.83% Average Hike

Power Tariff in J&K Likely to Rise From September 1 as JERC Approves 6.83% Average Hike
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22, KNT: Electricity consumers across Jammu and Kashmir are likely to face higher power bills from September 1...

Read moreDetails

EOW Kashmir chargesheets habitual offender in fake job fraud case

EOW Kashmir chargesheets habitual offender in fake job fraud case
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22: The Economic Offences Wing (EOW) Kashmir of Crime Branch J&K on Saturday said it had filed a...

Read moreDetails

NIA carries out raids across several Kashmir districts in terror case

NIA carries out raids across several Kashmir districts in terror case
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Srinagar, Aug 22 (UNI) The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Saturday morning carried out simultaneous searches at multiple locations across...

Read moreDetails

Search Operation Enters Second Day for Srinagar Youth Feared Drowned in Nallah Sindh

Search Operation Enters Second Day for Srinagar Youth Feared Drowned in Nallah Sindh
by KH Web Desk
August 22, 2026

Ganderbal, Aug 22: The search operation to trace an 18-year-old youth from Srinagar who is feared to have drowned in...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire