• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
The Kashmir Horizon
EPAPER
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper
No Result
View All Result
The Kashmir Horizon
No Result
View All Result
Home Top News

Mining, mineral extraction contracts going to outsiders will rob employment of locals: NC MPs

United News of India by United News of India
July 1, 2020
in Top News
A A
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

Srinagar:National Conference (NC) on Tuesday expressed concern over allotment of sand mining and mineral extraction contracts to non-residents of J&K, saying the measure will rob employment opportunities from local youth and affect livelihood of thousands of families.
In a statement issued here on Tuesday, NC Members of Parliament Muhammad Akbar Lone and Justice (Retd) Hasnain Masoodi, while expressing concern over the discriminatory measures, said last year the rights for extraction of the minerals was exclusively reserved for local contractors.
“Due to the restrictions on the internet, the local contractors couldn’t participate in the on-line bidding process. From contractors to manual sand diggers, laborers to transporters, and scores of other mineral workers who are directly or indirectly associated with the extraction of minerals, all will be in peril because local contractors failed to bid for the contract as the internet was not available to them. Whatever little they earn to manage their household chores comes from the sand mining,” the duo said.
The MPs said the educated youth of J&K are already suffering due to shrinking employment opportunities aggravated by measures taken on August 5, last year. “The domicile policy has added to the frustration of JK youth on account of diminishing job avenues,” they said.
they said unavailability of a viable private sector and the ruin caused to local hospitality, handicraft and manufacturing sectors post August 5 and successive COVID-19 induced lock down has increased the trepidation of the unemployed youth of J&K.
“All the 10 mineral blocks in river Jhelum in Srinagar have gone to outsiders; in north Kashmir’s Baramulla, 26 sand mining contracts out of 38 mineral blocks have gone to outsiders, and in central Kashmir’s Budgam district, of seven mineral blocks, four have been awarded to outsiders in the bidding process,” they said.
“This is all what New Delhi has for Kashmir; every single step of there is pushing hapless Kashmiri youth towards a chasm, they said adding that there has been no let up in New Delhi’s repugnance for rights of Kashmiri people especially the youth,” they alleged.
“Leave aside the educated youth; the laborers are being robbed of their livelihood. How will seizing people’s rights, job avenues and other constitutional rights help the situation to improve. The imprudent measures will aggravate the already alienated youth. It seems that the government is on a mission of disenfranchising Kashmir in every aspect. The measures give a picture of colonial era discrimination and mortification,” they added.
The MPs urged the government to put the new mining or extraction policy in abeyance and allow the locals to draw their sustenance from it. “The first claim on local resources rightfully belongs to local people,” they said.
Meanwhile, the duo urged the J&K government to grant a six months extension to all PhD and Integrated PhD scholars whose residency period ends this year. “The poor lot couldn’t do any work during the post August lock down and subsequent COVID-19 induced crises. The Kashmir university administration is ambiguous about the fate of scholars. The university should come up with a clear cut policy on the graduate level exams; PG levels exams and other entrance tests.
We also impress upon the university to grant extension to all scholars PhD, and M Phil whose residency period is nearing an end this year. Concerned departments should be asked to take immediate steps to provide succor to scholars, and students. The university has so far come out with ambiguous notifications on this issue. No registration fees should be charged this year from Integrated and other scholars who are in the process of completion of their thesis. All of them should be given extra six months to complete their pending work,” they added.

United News of India

United News of India

United News of India

Related Posts

LG Leads 81st J&K Sainik Board to Boost Veteran Welfare & Healthcare

From Awareness to Action: LG Sinha Ignites Next Phase for Drug-Free J&K
by K H News Service
August 19, 2026

Key Healthcare & Grievance Redressal Push for Veterans and Veer Naris LG Chairs State Panel on Armed Forces Flag Day...

Read moreDetails

CM Omar Reviews Final Prep for First J&K Int’l Film Festival

CM Omar Reviews Final Prep for First J&K Int’l Film Festival
by K H News Service
August 19, 2026

Says“Film Fest to Boost J&K’s Cultural & Creative Exchange” CM Reviews Plans for J&K Film Festival Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar...

Read moreDetails

Trump holds up India’s election system as model, pushes US Congress to pass SAVE America Act

Trump ready to end Iran conflict without nuclear deal: Reports
by United News of India
August 19, 2026

Washington : US President Donald Trump cited India's election system as a perfect model for the United States, pointing to...

Read moreDetails

After suspicious movement reports, security forces launch searches in Udhampur, Reasi

LG chairs a high-level security review meeting in the aftermath of Reasi killings
by Agencies
August 19, 2026

Jammu: Security forces on Tuesday launched search operations at several locations in Udhampur and Reasi districts following reports of suspicious...

Read moreDetails

NTA revamps its examination team: 600 experts removed, offices shifted to new premises

“Website, all portals fully secure”, Says NTA amid irregularities allegations
by Agencies
August 19, 2026

New Delhi: The National Testing Agency has revamped its examination team by removing 600 experts and on boarding new experts....

Read moreDetails

J&K Sets Up District Task Forces to Tackle Highway Safety on Supreme Court Mandate

Transforming the Jammu-Srinagar Highway – A Beacon of Progress
by K H News Service
August 19, 2026

Srinagar: Following directives from the Supreme Court of India in the Phalodi Accident vs. NHAI case, the Jammu and Kashmir...

Read moreDetails

About

The publication of “Kashmir Horizon” as an English daily was started with a modest attempt on May 19, 2008.It has been a Himalayan attempt for “The Kashmir Horizon” to survive the challenges posed to journalism in the violence fraught place like Jammu & Kashmir.

MORE

Search in Archive

DIGITAL EDITION

  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Our Team
  • Advertise with Us
  • Contributors
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • Region
  • City News
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
  • News In Focus
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Ideas
    • My Idea
    • Friday Faith
    • Letter to the Editor
  • Business
  • Sports
  • India
  • World
  • Snapshots
  • ePaper

© The Kashmir Horizon - Designed by Gabfire